21 lb rescued cat with eating disorder?

She was a normal size when I got her, two vet's say she checks out fine. Apparently it's all mental, the rest of the litter would not let her eat. I've tried different foods and even restricting her intake, but that caused neurotic behavior. She is…

She was a normal size when I got her, two vet's say she checks out fine. Apparently it's all mental, the rest of the litter would not let her eat. I've tried different foods and even restricting her intake, but that caused neurotic behavior. She is…...
    General Dog Discussions : 21 lb rescued cat with eating disorder?...

• 21 lb rescued cat with eating disorder?

21 lb rescued cat with eating disorder? General Dog Discussions
      She was a normal size when I got her, two vet's say she checks out fine. Apparently it's all mental, the rest of the litter would not let her eat. I've tried different foods and even restricting her intake, but that caused neurotic behavior. She is strictly indoor due to the area where we live. I've heard that cats, unlike dogs, never recover from this. What else can I try? No pet psychics please!

21 lb rescued cat with eating disorder? General Dog Discussions
    • have the dr. check her thyroid. if that checks out and is fine, then you have to realize, she cant get food without you, feed her a stable healthy diet and if she doesn't like it too bad for her, her health is more important, and she will eventually get used to not having so much to eat.

• I've heard this referred to as Scarlett O'Hara Syndrome--"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" She doesn't happen to be a calico, does she? For some reason it seems to me that calicos are always chubby.You might try shifting the focus from cutting calorie intake to increasing her exercise. Cats don't really take to calisthenics, so exercise really means playing more. One cat will go crazy for a toy that another will annoy completely, so it may take experimentation to find something she'll use for a while, and they lose interest so you have to keep finding new things. I found that a little spoonful of catnip tied securely into a scrap of fabric, with a string attached, would get most of the cats I've had to follow it around for as long as I was willing to drag it around. Or tie something to a doorknob, especially if you can use an elastic string. Anything to get her moving.If the vet doesn't insist on her losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it much. It's not like she needs to fit into a swimsuit for beach season or anything! There's just more of her to love!

• We rescued a tiny kitten that someone had put out along the road a little over 12 years ago and she weighs over thirty pounds now. The vet says that except for the weight she is fine and in fact very healthy for her age but she cannot stand for her food bowl to be empty. We have tried to put her on a diet but she goes crazy and when thirty pounds of cat goes crazy believe me you know it. I suppose that she was the runt of the littler like your cat or just went a long time without anything to eat before we found her but she has never come to the realization that she doesn’t have to worry about food anymore. She knows that she rules the roost around here and she is as pampered and spoiled as a cat can be but she still can’t get over that fear of not having food. From my experience about the only advice I can give you is to stop torturing yourself and upsetting the cat and just let her eat. We tried all sorts of things that the vet recommended but it did no good and only caused our cat distress. Her life may be a bit shorter if she is overweight but I’m not sure that a longer life is worth what they seem to go through when we try to cut back on their food.

• When Snappy was about a year old we moved and she had some kind of breakdown over it emotionally. She was, to my eyes anyway, in love with a tom cat in the old neighborhood. She hung out with him all the time and even brought him into my house to give him her food. Then we moved. She really fell apart emotionally with the move. Maybe it was him and maybe it was just moving. Anyway, she started eating everything in sight. Her sister almost starved to death because she would take all her food. It got to a point where we had to stand guard so that the other cat could eat in peace.Snappy became so heavy that she could no longer jump from a chair to the floor without knocking the wind out of her. We tried everything we could think of. Finally, my husband just fed her all she could eat and more. He just stood there and kept putting more down. She ate until she threw up and then she ate more. This went on for several days. Then she just stopped overeating. It took some time but eventually she got back down to a "fighting" weight and she could run and jump again.I'm not saying that this would work with your cat but it did work with mine so maybe there is some hope that this eating disorder will work it's way out of your cat's life.My current cat, Maggie, was rescued from a feral cat colony. She wasn't big enough to fight the other cats there and was nearly starved to death when she was found and rescued. We believe that she was dumped there when someone decided that they didn't want her because she wasn't a cute kitten anymore. She gobbled everything she could for some time after she came to live with us. Eventually she stopped and while she's a little bit heavy now the gorging ended and she eats normally.Hang in there and I hope everything works out.

• Maybe on this occasion an animal communicator could help your cat. They would be able to communicate what your cat is trying to tell you, so you can help your cat.Have a look at the video below on youtube, I think you may find it interesting okhttp://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DgGm8tHCeMKAI wish you and your cat all the best.Lots of LoveMisscpb xxx

• All you can do is use whatever food your vet feels is appropriate for this cat, and only feed her the amt prescribed. Also, you’ll want to be sure she is monitored for conditions like diabetes on a regular basis -- one of our other cats is a 24 pound male who developed diabetes shortly after we adopted him (yes, he’s on a weight loss diet).We also have a cat who was starved as a kitten -- was nearly dead from starvation when we adopted her. After nursing her back to a healthy weight, she still has issues over food control nearly 10 years later. She fights our other cats for food, even when there is plenty to go around, and is particularly fond of running in at feeding time, flipping over the bowls of dry cat food (so the food is trapped under the bowl), then coming back to systematically uncover and eat the contents of each bowl once the other cats lose interest. She is not as bad about it as she used to be, and our other cats have learned to ignore most of her antics.If your cat displays food anxiety, there are medications that can be used to help her "cope", such as Elavil. If she is hard to give pills to, they can be compounded into a liquid or a dermal cream that you rub inside her ear. They don’t have to be used for the rest of her life -- just try it for a few weeks and it may help "settle her mind" enough. If you have other cats or dogs, try feeding her in a separate room, with the door shut, to ease her anxiety that other animals will steal her food.Good luck