Is there a cure for distemper in a puppy that is 9wks old?

We took our pup to the vet and as it turns out the vet thinks that he might have distemper. He is a 9wk old english mastiff. The vet is giving him some medication that seems to be helping, but if he doesn't show any sign of progression he says we should…

We took our pup to the vet and as it turns out the vet thinks that he might have distemper. He is a 9wk old english mastiff. The vet is giving him some medication that seems to be helping, but if he doesn't show any sign of progression he says we should…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a cure for distemper in a puppy that is 9wks old?...

• Is there a cure for distemper in a puppy that is 9wks old?

Is there a cure for distemper in a puppy that is 9wks old? General Dog Discussions
      We took our pup to the vet and as it turns out the vet thinks that he might have distemper. He is a 9wk old english mastiff. The vet is giving him some medication that seems to be helping, but if he doesn't show any sign of progression he says we should let him go. We've only had him for two weeks and we love him very much. We need any kind of advice or information we can get to save Maximus. I'm sure the vet who is currently attending him is knowledgable, but getting a second opinion wouldn't hurt. Personal experience would help too.

Is there a cure for distemper in a puppy that is 9wks old? General Dog Discussions
    • So sorry to hear about your puppy. It is very contagious. Where ever you got the puppy from might have this at their establishment. You might want to contact where you got the puppy from and inform them what has happened so that they can treat the other animals. In the man time your puppy needs to stay away from other dogs.I am so sorry. I hope he gets better.

• Oh, I'm afraid that you aren't going to like my response.I had a pup tha I adopted from a Shelter about a year and a half ago. She started off with Kennel Cough the night I brought her home, so I took her to the vet the next day. She was under treatment and a week later on her return visit, the Kennel Cough had turned into pneumonia, which was a precursor to Distemper. She had to be hospitalized and put in isolation and was in intensive care. Unfortunately she didn't make it.I know what you're going though. It's painful to lose any dog, but more painful to lose a puppy. My only consolation was that my pup didn't die alone and unwanted in the shelter.I have to say that I blame the Shelter where I got my dog. She had been there for 3 weeks and never had any kind of puppy vaccine until the day I adopted her., so she contacted Distemper at the Shelter.in her. There were other dogs after her that also came down with it around the time that she did. My hearts goes out to you. Hold onto the fact that although you didn't have this dog long, he knew that you loved him and will be leaving this world loved and going to a place where his suffering will be no more.Sometimes it's best to let go, but it's a decision that only ou can make. 'm so sorry.