Young white shepherd with potential joint problems?

His name is Hewie (after a video game called Haunting Ground. If you look up a picture you will find a near spitting image of the two of us)) I found him weighing 40lbs at the pound eating his own dookie. Now... hes the most amazing creature I've ever…

His name is Hewie (after a video game called Haunting Ground. If you look up a picture you will find a near spitting image of the two of us)) I found him weighing 40lbs at the pound eating his own dookie. Now... hes the most amazing creature I've ever…...
    General Dog Discussions : Young white shepherd with potential joint problems?...

• Young white shepherd with potential joint problems?

Young white shepherd with potential joint problems? General Dog Discussions
      His name is Hewie (after a video game called Haunting Ground. If you look up a picture you will find a near spitting image of the two of us)) I found him weighing 40lbs at the pound eating his own dookie. Now... hes the most amazing creature I've ever come across. He now weighs a hefty 94lbs and is as fit as can be. Also, he's saved me from a vicious dog coming my way - the only time I've ever seen him vicious. He will only enter rooms if he knows I'm going in. He opens doors all on his own. If I'm sick he won't leave my side unless he really needs to. I'm not religious but..... he's an angel. Recently, though, when getting up he's been making little fusses. I've seen him run into everything imaginable (he's smart but really dopey, I'm talking sliding glass doors & trees full speed) and he never yelps.We're not entirely sure how old he is... maybe like 4 to 5 years old now (we've had him for at least 4). Any advice on how to help him without taking him to the vet and getting BS prescriptions would be awesome. And thanks in advance!Side note, I've never found any white shepherds like him.... and due to his features & the breeders in the area he may be part wolf (yes, we have a woman in the area that breeds shepherds with wolves)Extra side note : Dog has SUPER vision can see things in incredible low light.. should have mentioned that him running into the sliding doors was due to his first experience being in a house with such a thing & running into trees was due to playing excessively in my not so huge back yard with a 40 lbs beagle and skidding across the dirt,Hewie is in GREAT health otherwise... I'm just asking if anyone has a suggested food brand or treat that would help. Currently hes on Purina Pro plan,I'm not rich by any means but money is no issue. I'd give my life for him. I just feel like a lot of vets milk you as much as they can for your dollar. Sad to say.... we can't get cheap doc visits and neither can the the creatures that keep us going day to day...

Young white shepherd with potential joint problems? General Dog Discussions
    • Yeh, if he's bumping into things he's probably going into renal failure from high protein diet. You have about 10 minutes to switch him to the lowest protein senior dog food you can find before it becomes too late.

• It sounds like his VISION may be impaired. Otherwise, he wouldn't run into sliding glass doors or trees. I could be mistaken but I think this dog needs to have his eyes examined. There may be some eye drops that could help him. See the vet about that.IF the dog has joint problems, in German shepherds they usually affect the hips or elbow. and the only prescriptions you *might* get for those things would be for PAIN. SURGERY is the usual treatment for hip and/or elbow dysplasias.I know a lot of supplements CLAIM to help but I know of none that have more than a very slight effect in a very few dogs.If you see a veterinarian, sometimes they can tell if a dog has bad hips or elbows just by feeling them (they know what a good elbow or hip joint should feel like). Other times xrays are needed. Pain medication would be the least you could do for a dog you seem to love so much, if he has bad hips or elbows. maybe you can save up for the surgery. There are many different surgical options for hip dysplasia, ranging from the very simple to total hip replacement. Your vet will discuss all of your options IF this is the problem. The doctor can also give you a good guess about the dog's age as well as his ancestry.

• While a lot of vets are just out for your money, this does not mean ALL of them are. Plus, they cannot charge you for anything you don't agree to. Why does him running into things make you think he has joint problems? I'd take him to get a check up at LEAST. Have them check his eyes AND joints. White GSD's are a fault and it could be that he's got a bad genetic history. This could mean he does in fact have something wrong with his eyes and/or joints.I would also suggest that you get him onto a decent food. Purina is garbage. The equivalent of you eating nothing but potato chips. Tases good, but is nowhere near the nutrition needed. Try Wellness, Orijen, Taste Of The Wild, etc. Something with meat as the first ingredient rather than corn or meat by-product.

• It seems to me like you are seeing the early signs of joint problems or arthritis. Unfortunately dogs can't tell us when they are in pain and its often progressed quite far by the time we realize the changes in their activity. Most people wait until their dog is old and has decreased activity before they decide to give them something to help their joints, when in fact you should be doing something to prevent the deterioration of the joints. Try a natural pet joint relief before taking him to the vet. He is at the age where he definitely should be given something to help with any pain, swelling or stiffness he may be experiencing. Try this product http://healthfurpaws.com/natural-pet-joint-relief/ I use it on my dog and it made a huge difference in her activity level! Hope this helps!