Active Heartworms in elderly dogs?

My friends beagle (Annie) is 11 yrs. old, bout 40lbs. overweight and has heartworms. The vet won't treat the HW disease because her heart is enlarged, instead he wants to give her Heartguard and refer her to a Cardiologist!(she does cough some)Does this…

My friends beagle (Annie) is 11 yrs. old, bout 40lbs. overweight and has heartworms. The vet won't treat the HW disease because her heart is enlarged, instead he wants to give her Heartguard and refer her to a Cardiologist!(she does cough some)Does this…...
    General Dog Discussions : Active Heartworms in elderly dogs?...

• Active Heartworms in elderly dogs?

Active Heartworms in elderly dogs? General Dog Discussions
      My friends beagle (Annie) is 11 yrs. old, bout 40lbs. overweight and has heartworms. The vet won't treat the HW disease because her heart is enlarged, instead he wants to give her Heartguard and refer her to a Cardiologist!(she does cough some)Does this sound normal?????

Active Heartworms in elderly dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • I cannot answer any of your question but he heartgard part. It will prevent new worms from forming and slightly shorten the lifespan of the adults. It pretty much prevents it from getting worse.He is referring her to a cardiologist cause he may see something wrong with her heart more than the HW's and may not feel it is safe to treat her.I would listen to him.