Will my dog ever walk again. I have had him for 12 years, since he was a puppy.?

I took him to the vet yesterday because for the past week he has been having a hard time getting up and then he started to urinate on himself. I had a very hard time getting him to the terrace to relieve himself. As I was giving him a bath 2 days ago…

Will my dog ever walk again. I have had him for 12 years, since he was a puppy.?

I took him to the vet yesterday because for the past week he has been having a hard time getting up and then he started to urinate on himself. I had a very hard time getting him to the terrace to relieve himself. As I was giving him a bath 2 days ago…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my dog ever walk again. I have had him for 12 years, since he was a puppy.?...

• Will my dog ever walk again. I have had him for 12 years, since he was a puppy.?

Will my dog ever walk again. I have had him for 12 years, since he was a puppy.? General Dog Discussions
      I took him to the vet yesterday because for the past week he has been having a hard time getting up and then he started to urinate on himself. I had a very hard time getting him to the terrace to relieve himself. As I was giving him a bath 2 days ago I saw that his hind paw was infected and swollen. The vet ran test (blood, urine) nothing came up. They cleand the wound ( I don't know how it happened, I don't think he got bite). In the end she said maybe I should think about having him put down. I am giving him all of the medicine but he still cant get up. He continue to pee on himself. I guess I was hoping for a miracle, that he would get up. He has stopped eating and just lays there looking really sad. It seems to happened so suddenly. Just a week ago he was moving around. I cant understand how one day he is walking and the next nothing. He has only been on the medication for one day. I keep looking for a change but nothing. Why can't Jocko walk? I love my dog and would really like to see him get better, however I really don't think he will. He cant get up, don't eat too much and I need to bath him daily. He is a big dog a 45lb lab. What 2 do? Should just give him the medicine for the next ten days , just wait and see, and pray for a miracle. I don't want to watch him suffer but I don't want to give up too soon. I honestly don't think he will last much, longer, don't know how much more I can stand it.

Will my dog ever walk again. I have had him for 12 years, since he was a puppy.? General Dog Discussions
    • Don't listen to the people on here telling you to put him down right away. Wait a few days for him while he is on the medication. It is weird that all of the sudden this is happening, you can try taking him to another animal hospital. But if it truly does look like this will never get better, putting him down is the right thing to do. But who know, sometimes miracles really do happen. But in the end your baby will be in a better place, and at peace.

• Keep giving him the medicine for now. You say he has been on it for one day? Medication doesn't work overnight. I'm not sure if the vet thinks the hind paw infection is making it hard for him to walk. It could also be arthritis or hip dysplasia. It's impossible for anyone here to tell you for sure.I would consider bringing him to a different vet to get another opinion on what's causing the inability to walk. Definitely try everything you can.