Do pot bellied pigs make good pets and any tips would help?

We're thinking about getting a pot bellied piglet from the shelter. She's house trained, 6 months old, 28 pounds and cute as a button:) So, I was wondering, have you ever owned a pot bellied pig and what do you think about them as pets? Thanks:)P.S. We…

We're thinking about getting a pot bellied piglet from the shelter. She's house trained, 6 months old, 28 pounds and cute as a button:) So, I was wondering, have you ever owned a pot bellied pig and what do you think about them as pets? Thanks:)P.S. We…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do pot bellied pigs make good pets and any tips would help?...

• Do pot bellied pigs make good pets and any tips would help?

Do pot bellied pigs make good pets and any tips would help? General Dog Discussions
      We're thinking about getting a pot bellied piglet from the shelter. She's house trained, 6 months old, 28 pounds and cute as a button:) So, I was wondering, have you ever owned a pot bellied pig and what do you think about them as pets? Thanks:)P.S. We hav ebeen thinking about adopting one for quite a while:DANY answers would be very helpful please:)

Do pot bellied pigs make good pets and any tips would help? General Dog Discussions
    • She's still got a lot of growing to do! Expect her to be at least 70lbs by the time she's a year old and over 150lbs at 2-3 years old and the size of a medium sized dog, like a Labrador, and she should live over 14 years. They are a long term commitment and can be quite hard work.They don't make good house pets - they will root up your carpet and break furniture, they can also bust into fridges and bins. They are as smart as Border Collies but 10x more stubborn! Females can have grumpy moments as they mature too. They need a lot of space, can be very destructive and expensive to keep. You also need to keep contact with a livestock vet, a regular dog/cat vet will not treat them. Female pigs can also get uterine cancers, I've seen pictures of them with tumours almost the same size as they are! It's unusual to see females getting spayed but something worth looking into! Do a lot of research on general pigkeeping! This is a good site (it is UK based, but has a lot of good tips!)http://www.potbelliedpigs.co.uk/