How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they…

How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?...

• The weight is about right mine is 85 lbs and its 6 weeks when they need there 1st shots and every 3 weeks there after till they've had 4 shots the 4th one is a booster and after that they need only once a year hope I helped you

• Congratulations you are getting a wonderful breed. Your puppy should be about the same size as the parents. Make sure the breeder goes over the shot records, when the next shots are due, what kind of food they have been using, grooming tips etc. They should be willing to sit down with you and go over any questions that you have. Have fun with your new addition

• Thank you for serving our country.Hard to say how big she will be, but the breeder should be able to give you a very educated guess, and will answer all your questions in great detail. Especially about the shots. She will have some when you get her. they start about 6 wks. She should tell you to call anytime you have a question also. My son has a girl of that same type breeding....Amer mother German born sire....she is not all that big....she is gorgeous....I would say about 70lbs....and absolutely brilliant. So protective....I can't even grab my son's arm....she will be up and looking in my eyes to see what my intentions are. If she doesn't like what she sees, I think she would grab me. I know she would. She would protect him w/her life. Fabulous dog. Loves M&Ms. Will do anything for one. Almost anything. Have fun.

• First of all let me say that GSD's are the greatest! I have owned them for over 35 years. Your puppy should be about the same size as the parents. When you know the date that you plan to pick up your puppy, make an appointment with your vet, he or she will go over the time table for the vaccines, be sure to have a fecal done to check for any parasites. They will also get your puppy started on heartworm prevention and a flea control. Next find a place that you can start puppy classes, this is very important, there is nothing better than a well trained dog. Please remember to have your pets spayed and neutered.God Bless Our Troops!!

• If the parents were between 70 and 75lbs then I'd say that's a sfe bet on the full grown size of your dog. Get his shots now Parvo is very important ASAP! he should be done with the boosters, by the time he's 5mo. Then you have to get the yearly shots.

• My GSD is about 90 lbs but he is a long haired. Anyway, I usually start shots around 8 weeks because if the puppy was nursed off of the mother and not bottle fed then he should have a pretty healthy immune system. If bottle fed I start at 6 weeks. Then you do 1 shot every 3 weeks up until 15 weeks of age and they can have the rabies vaccine on the last shot. All vets are different, mainly due to different locations have different concerns, so it would be best to check with whoever you are going to be taking her to. BTW, wonderful breed.Edit to asker: This is funny. I just saw Nancy on another qeustion and the answer was almost exactly the same.

• Hi Bullet,First let me say that I grew up with Shepards. My family showed them through the GSDCA across the country in conformation. Most dogs are around the same size as their parents with females generally being smaller. The first set of shots are usually given at 6 weeks. Vets differ slightly on this by a few weeks though. Your breeder should have records ready for you when you pick your little lady up. I read that you've previously purchased animals through breeders but, I'd like to give you this advice: ask questions lots of them- I've seen many people come with lists of theirs. Ask the size of Grandparents etc., what type of food they are feeding and SOME TO TAKE HOME-if you chose not to use their brand slowly mix in new brand with old, ask if parents are on premises, what temperment is like, if they have trouble through lines with hips and elbows(if shown will have had X-Rays), have they been wormed, can you see previous offspring???? Is the kennel and animals clean???? Any breeder should be able to answer all of these questions.The best of luck to you both and have fun.

• We have a 1 year old rescued shepherd purebred. she is very petite, and about 50 pounds. to be honest she looks like she never fully grew into her feet. our prior shepherd was about 65-70 at her peak. she did gain a bit more as she aged and had some health issues. i think that's an average size for a purebred female. you should take her to your vet as soon as you get her for a routine exam, even if she's from a vet. i think they can do first shots around 6 weeks.

• You can't be that experienced or you would have a good idea the bloodlines and know how big she is going to get.. and you would know that you should never ever buy a puppy from any jerk breeder who would allow you to take the puppy home at a mere 6 weeks of age.. VERY irresponsible breeder there. You have experience then you should know that they should have had first shots at 6 weeks, 10 weeks, etc.. Talk to your vet. You are going to need to be very close to him after buying from such an irresponsible breeder.

• you should follow the recommendation that your vet suggests for your puppies vaccines, when we brought our little bundle of fur home 5 years ago we kept in touch with 2 of the other dog owners and they were never on the same schedules because they all went to different vets, trust your vet, all puppies are different even puppies within the same liter.with that said, my German Shepherd is a female and she ranges between 92 and 95lbs it would take a lb or two especially if it's around Christmas. she comes from German Blood line and is on the bigger side and most people mistake her for a male...she gets very insulted

• I do not *currently* own a shepherd, but we used to have one that we bought in Germany. German-bred German shepherds (also called Alsatians - avoids the confusion of trying to explain what one means by a "German German shepherd" LOL) are typically larger than American-bred animals. Our dog, Kris, was a male, and he grew to be about 120 pounds - he was huge even by German standards. His shoulder height was almost to my hip - and I'm nearly 6' tall myself. We'd take him for walks in the Walkplatz and people would stop and stare and point. He was pure, 110% muscle - he loved to fetch sticks and one day we took him out to a field behind our housing area. There had been a bad storm the night before, and a middling-sized tree - probably about 8-10 feet tall - had been blown down. Kris fetched the stick that my dad threw for him a time or two, but then he decided that nothing would serve but that he'd fetch that tree. He couldn't get his jaws around the thick part of the trunk, and trying to grab it by the branches didn't work as the leaves just shredded off in his mouth. Finally he found a branch of about Coke-can thickness, and he dragged that tree around for an hour, just prancing around like the king of the world with his tail wagging like crazy. At one point, my dad - 6'7" and ~280 lbs - stood on the leafy part of the tree. It took Kris a few tries, but eventually he dug his feet in and was able to shake my dad off the tree. We had to put him down when he was 3 years old - he attacked me, and I spent 6 days in the hospital, four surgeries; turned out he had a brain tumor and the pain just got to be too much and he snapped. He could easily have killed me, and I like to think that even in those moments of pain-fueled insanity, he still was fighting against himself, trying not to hurt me. It's the only explanation I can think of for why I didn't die. Sorry for rambling - but thanks for the opportunity to reminisce about one of the best dogs I've ever known. Anyway. If the parents are both in the 70-75 pound range, then your dog will probably be in that same range too - since she's female, she'll probably be on the lighter side. Much will depend on her care and health; a malnourished or improperly exercised dog will not be as healthy (and therefore will typically be smaller) than a healthy, well-cared-for animal. Keeping in mind that proper health care and living conditions tend to result in larger offspring for both humans and animals, she might get to be a little larger than her parents, but I wouldn't bet on her getting much more than 80 pounds or so, unless there's a really really big dog further back in her pedigree. Sometimes size skips a generation, or one of her parents might not have had optimal conditions during their formative years... check her pedigree and if possible observe the sires and dams from previous generations. If any of them are exceptionally huge, then all bets are off, but otherwise you're probably looking at a full-grown weight of 70-80 pounds. Most pups are not separated from their mothers until 8 weeks, so watch out for early-weaning behavior issues (chewing, biting, "digging" on non-diggable surfaces, other anxiety behaviors). 8 weeks is usually the standard for the first set of shots, but it's because the pups are usually still nursing until 8 weeks. Check with your vet, because even if she's still too young for rabies shots, she should get her parvo vaccine - a young, early-weaned pup in the summer months is at high risk for dying from parvo, and it's a horrible death to suffer, you do NOT want that to happen. Take her to the vet now.Edited: Sorry, I missed the part about you just paying the deposit but not having picked her up. Hopefully you and the breeder will let her stay with her mother another week or so, so she gets the full benefit from nursing, and will be a little more mature when she goes home with you. Every dog (and cat) I've ever had that had behavior problems or was "un-trainable" had been separated from its mother before 8 weeks. They seem grown enough, but...

• I have 4 gsds. Hopefully you're not picking her up till she's a little older. Get first set of vacs at 8 weeks. Don't take her out and about till about a week or so after at least the 2nd set of shots. People always wonder why their poor pup came down with parvo right after they got it and had it vaccinated. It's because their immunities have not built back up and they're susceptible to the very diseases they were just vaccinated against. I'm figuring her weight will be in the 70 lb range. If she's got huge gsds in her american side background, she may top out around 80, but females are generally smaller. My german gsds all hit 75 lbs or so. My american gsd is hitting 130 lbs..German shepherds obviously are bred to do a job. They will not be large if they are from german lines. They are a medium sized dog. My mentor has nothing but imported german lines and their offspring and they are not giant dogs. Most of the american lines are roach backed to look good while trotting, but can't do a day's work. My american is also of the old style, very big, straight back, no sway at all, 130 lbs. My german line dogs are only about 75 lbs or so. My mentor is def an expert and huge into schutzhund and knows what she's talking about.EM, just a sidenote in reference to her use of Alsation. That is not the german word for german shepherd dog. The name was changed after the war when anything german was frowned upon., The german name for the gsd is Deustche Schaferhund, which literally means german shepherd dog.

• German shepherds can vary in size. It really depends on the size of the parents and the lineage they come from. Sounds to me that she may be about 70lbs. Average size for a female german shepherd is around 65-75lbs. They get their first round of shots at 6 wks. then they will receive 2 more after that. The second at 8 wks, then at 12 wks. Then they get their first rabies shot at 6mos. German Shepherds can live quite awhile if taken care of properly as they're growing up. I've seen them as old as 15yrs. They are great dogs, I have 2 myself. In total I have had 6 in my life time. You do have to socialize them from the time you get them though. Otherwise you run the risk of them becoming fear biters. The make wonderful family dogs, so if you have kids they will become best buds in no time. I hope that I have help you in some way. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

• 6-weeks young puppy, I got A.K.A 8-weeks looks like this see below:Male at 8-weeks oldhttp://www.putfile.com/pic/5269679Male at 1.5 years oldhttp://www.putfile.com/pic/5209938Let me tell you he or she will weigh almost 100lbs depends on you feed them. Shots have the animal checked out by a vet then he or she will tell you when to get the shots. Shots at the vet cost more than going to a third-party. First puppy shots cost $39 by third-party (visiting vet to a pet dog) First year $88 and booster shots good for 3 years $100 bucks. Vet going to cost double or more as soon as you go to see the Vet you pay more..

• Her size will be dependent on her parents. From what you told me about her parents' size, I would guess that she would be 70-80 pounds. There is not a minimum weight requirement for vaccinations. Please don't wait to have your new puppy vaccinated until it's 12 pounds as dhe can pick up parvo/distemper before she reaches that weight. Pups can be 6 weeks old to get their vaccinations. Have fun with your new pup.