How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they…

How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?...

• Congratulations on your new dog, I used to have a german sheppard when I was little, she was the best dog I ever had. Mine weighed about 70 pounds or so as far as I can remember, she seemed so big to me though. Good luck and have fun with your new puppy :]

• We had a regular sable one, she was about 90 lbs and we were told she was big for a female. Our male is 120, he is beautiful but MASSIVE! We bought one from parents from czecheslovakia (I am sorry if that is spelled completely wrong) this time, she has the same build as our old one but she is dark sable, and alot slighter than our old one, she is almost a year and only 60 lbs. But she still has lots of filling out to do so I guess she will be around 80 lbs.8 weeks is first shots, i think 16 are boosters. I can't remember :( She was 6 months when we got her, she is from the RCMP.

• "The German Shepherd Dog weighs in at 60-80 pounds for females, and 75-100 pounds for males."http://justdogbreeds.com/german-shepherd-dog.htmlHope this helps! I love this site, it has great info. Good luck with your new pup!Oh, and make sure that the parents of the your puppy have OFA and CERF certificates.

• Wow, don't you love how people fly off the handle and jump down your throat before knowing all the info?I do own a German Shepherd. He just turned 9 months old and is currently a slim 70lbs. I am guesstimating him at topping out at about 85lbs.Your girl will probably be 65-70lbs. What color is she? I'll bet she is a doll. Shepherds are just beautiful!Is she a pet or will you be using her for "work"?Her vaccination schedule should be:8 wks--DHLPP-C (Distemper combo)12 wks--DHLPP-C16 wks--DHLPP-C and RabiesThe breeder will possibly give her a parvo, right about the 6wk mark and worm her as well. The breeder should give you all the paperwork for her, including all vacc and worming she has had.This shot schedule is pretty standard but some vets like to throw in a Parvo at around the 10wk mark. All depends on your vet. At 8wks old she will be old enough to go on heartworm preventative (which also controls the intestinal parasites roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.)Being a large breed dog, you'll need to feed her a good quality large breed puppy formula. (No vitamin supplementing unless directly ordered from the vet, as this can throw off her calcium/phosphorus ratio and cause skeletal malformation.)You'll want her to stay on the slender side as she grows. This can help keep stress off her tender, fast growing joints and can help to prevent hip dysplasia. By providing a good quality diet, you help her to grow steadily as opposed to too quickly. I have read that Shepherds are slow to mature (I definitely am seeing this with my boy!) and they aren't usually grown until 18-24 months with some German lines not until 36+months.I have been taking mine to a professional trainer who has also bred and raised Shepherds for decades. You probably already have a good idea about all of this, sorry if it is repetition. Best of luck with your girl!**Add: Many people are saying take in a fecal sample. Puppies are generally born with intestinal parasites, they get them from mom inutero, most breeders give a general wormer around 6wks. A fecal done at the vet is not necessary. You should be starting her on the heartworm preventative anyway. If she does have worms, the preventative will take care of them. **note tapeworms come from fleas and are treated with a different medication.)Good luck and God bless!**Nancy M runs Nancy's Nazi Camp. She probably did not like his response to her answer and deleted her answer. She did that in another question. She seems like a very hard, not so nice person who thinks everyone else knows jack about dogs. She can dish it out but she sure can't take it!! lol

• I rescued a 5 yr old German bred German Shepherd (they tend to be bigger than the American ones). She's a longhaired and 90 lbs. I have no idea how big her parents were as I don't know her history, but she is a wonderful, loving, loyal dog and I love her more than anything!! You should have many years of great companionship :)

• Wow, the male was from german lines and is only 75lbs? How old was he? Im just curious. Because when shepherds (and most large breeds) grow, they go through two stages. The first stage is the skeletal system stage. Between newborn-1 year old, they don't really fill out, they just grow tall. My male right now at 1 year is about 80 lbs. But it's between 1-3 years that they really fill out and put on the weight. Most GSD aren't filled out until 3 yrs old. Until then they kinda look skinny and akward looking, lol. My GSD will probably be about 100 lbs at 3 yrs.The reason I ask for the age of the father is because 70-75lbs is average for an AMERICAN male, but for a german male, that is kinda on the small side. I know the father of my dog was only 1 year old at the time of breeding, so he of course wouldn't be his mature weight. So maybe the father wasn't full grown yet.Sorry for rambling on about that, lol, I was just suprised. Either way, with her being a female, I would say 70 lbs or so like the mother, but if the father is german, he could have some big B*tches in his lineage, and that could pass on to your dog. So she could easily get 100lbs or bigger, going off of the fact that her father is from german lines. Dogs don't always mirror their parents, sometimes growth and stuff skips around generation. Otherwise every puppy in a litter would be the same size, aboutEDIT: I too am glad that you just put a deposit down. 6 weeks is kinda early, lol. But on the other hand, I got my shepherd at 7 weeks. Before everyone gets all angry, here is why!!Me and my fiance wanted to buy our dogs at the same time, him a husky and me a GSD. Well, when he found a husky he liked, they told him the puppy was 8 weeks old and ready to go (the breeder REALLY sucked), so we go down, pick him up (we had to drive three hours one way to get him). Well, just as we were leaving, the breed was like "Oh, wait, we forgot, he's not 8 weeks, he's only 7 weeks." (yeah, my fiance sucks at picking out breeders. I NEVER would of chose them)Anyways, I had my GSD payed for, but he was only 7 weeks as well at the time, and the breeders weren't sending them home for another week. But because we had this 7 week old husky puppy, we didn't want him to be alone, so we talked to my breeders and they agreed to let my shepherd go a week early. He has turned out fine, no problems from that that I can see. He was really timid his first 5 months or so, and was afraid of everything, but now he is a really confident young dog, and turned out fine.EDIT 2: By the way, GSD just have big long feet. they look really long compared to most breeds I know. So this won't really tell you anything. When we got our dogs at 7 weeks, my GSD was 8 pnds and had small feet. At 7 weeks, the husky was 13 lbs and had HUGE feet!! We thought he was going to be huge! But now the husky is only 65 lbs and has small feet, and the shepherd is 80lbs and has big feetEDIT 3: Katt, she is SO cute!! Especially with the bunny ears! That has to be one of the funniest GSD pictures I have ever seen! She makes the same goofball face mine does. OMG I can't stop giggling thinking about that picture, lolAnd I'm with Tammy, who is Nancy?

• I have a 15 month old female German Shepherd and she weighs about 70 pounds. I am told that females are smaller than males. Make sure you spay your puppy at 4 months of age. She should already have had shots by now too. Call the animal shelter nearest you and they'll give good info on the vaccine schedule. Walk your pup daily as Shepherds can have hip problems. Start her on obedience training at 12 weeks. I am using Don Sullivan's Training System and it's perfect for those with new puppies. I have the German Shepherd and an American Dingo. I wished I had started training them at 12 weeks. But, we are making good progress.

• It's the age not the size that determines the shots.The dog's size will, by and large, be determined by its parents.Look up GSD's on the 'net and you'll be able to see-- about 24 inches for a female, 28 for a male, somewhere along the 80 pound range, I think.I have a 19 week old Shepherd/Cattle dog cross and she's growing so fast! I know she won't be quite as big as a real shepherd, but don't count on any small dog!! But they are SO smart, and SO loyal. Make sure you train her well-- and early. And socialize her as well!!Take care.

• I've had GSD's all of my adult life.My current GSD is german bloodline and he's 107lbs 4 year old his grandfather was the top working dog in germany (i forget the years) My recently pass GSD was a little better then 140lbs he passed at 16 years old he was an american plush X american short hairMost females won't get much bigger then 75-80lbs The first set of shots should be 8 weeks the second about 12 weeks and the third about 16 weeks, but the rabies vac can differ from breeder to breeder depending on if they use the 3 year or the 1 year.You should get a puppy book telling you when you need to do what. Like others said 6 weeks is a no no, I always like to see 10 weeks or a little more. 8 to 12 weeks they learn a lot from their litter mates.

• If the weights are true with the parents you can expect the puppy to grow to at least 70 lbs. Depends on the care and excercise. You could be looking at 72 -74 lbs. Females generally are smaller in size. When you get her, take her to the Vet. I always before picking up any of my animals - make a Vet apppointment, and get a list of any and all visits to the Vet the breeder has made. This is important especially with the parvo vaccine. Puppies usually get a series of vaccines, and based on what the breeder already has done, the Vet will be able to give you the exact schedule of boosters and shots needed for your dog. Before I bring any of my animals home for the 1st time, the Vet has done a complete physical, and checked stools for worms. Doesn't matter if the breeder has wormed your puppy or not, checking a stool for worms is very important expecially for a larger breed dog. At this time the dog can be checked for fleas and ticks. Nasty little creatures but they do love dogs and cats. Also make sure you look into what is the best food for large dogs you can afford. I wouldn't suggest the cheapiest food and not the most expensive, but a middle cost food for large breed dogs. They need more nutrition for their bones to grow correctly, and a dog food for any size dog will not amply supply this nutrition. German Shepards are working dogs so please make time in your busy day to make sure she gets enough excercise to tire her out - otherwise you will see alot of destructive behavior that I am sure you won't enjoy seeing. Best of Luck to you and your little one!