adult dog with peeing problem?

i have an adult rat terrier who is not neutered and for some reason likes to pee on the corners of beds and couches and chairs. we don't want to get him neutered but i need getting him to stop peeing on the furniture corners.also how much does it cost to…

i have an adult rat terrier who is not neutered and for some reason likes to pee on the corners of beds and couches and chairs. we don't want to get him neutered but i need getting him to stop peeing on the furniture corners.also how much does it cost to…...
    General Dog Discussions : adult dog with peeing problem?...

• adult dog with peeing problem?

adult dog with peeing problem? General Dog Discussions
      i have an adult rat terrier who is not neutered and for some reason likes to pee on the corners of beds and couches and chairs. we don't want to get him neutered but i need getting him to stop peeing on the furniture corners.also how much does it cost to get a dog neutered? for males are they nicer? and for females are they more calm?

adult dog with peeing problem? General Dog Discussions
    • That's what you will have to do, neuter him. He is marking his territory, especially since he is peeing on the corners of things.Why don't you want him to be neutered? The pros outweigh the cons by a longshot.ADD: all prices fluctuate from vet to vet. You will have to call around. Yes, majority of the time, they do calm down and they stop marking their territory. Take a look at this website:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2112&aid=911ADD: at my low cost spay/neuter clinic, they charge $25 for dogs under 80lbs...like i said, it just helps to call around and see what your options are.

• Why won't you have him neutered?Unless he's such a wonderful example of his breed and you plan to stud him, there's no good reason not to have him neutered.Yeah, male dogs love to pee on vertical surfaces. Especially when they're not neutered. Your options are to either neuter your dog, banish him to a crate every second he's unsupervised, or establish a strict time-and-place potty schedule. If you choose the third option, you will still need to either crate him or leash him to you during the process.ADDED: Neutering is not that expensive ... most vets will do the procedure (including pre-op bloodwork and surgical aftercare) for under $200. The price will vary according to the weight of the dog, and whether or not there were any complications during the procedure.There are also mobile spay/neuter clinics ... usually the local shelters have information. If there is a shelter in your area, and you know its website, check to see if there's a link to a low-cost spay/neuter clinic or service. The one that serves my area charges $70 for a neuter on a small/medium dog (your dog would fall into that weight-range) ... that is CHEAP!

• It would help a lot if your dog is neutered to get him over this behavior. This problem could also be a marking behavior, whereby the dog pees on specific spots of the house to note that that particular area is his territory.Here's a link that can help you understand this behavior and resolve this problem:http://dogtime.com/marking-housesoiling.html

• Neutering him might not stop peeing on things and i know that from experience , it will stop the urge to mate when neutered and will be calmer and not as aggressive it cost about $350 dollars to get my dog neutered,and if he doesn't stop peeing on things you should re-potty train him and be more strict when he does make him go in his kennel or cage for a certain amount of time . I hope your dogs problem is resolved .

• Neutering will help but might not solve the problem. You need to retrain your dog. You should be taking him out regularly. If your neglecting your part of the deal, you can expect for him to squirt all over your house. First, you need to thoroughly clean the areas he's urinated. Dogs have very acute noses. You got to take the smell away or he'll be going back every time. Next you've got to train him. Praise him every time he does the bathroom outside. Give him treats, if you must. If you catch him doing it in your home, assign a negative command (word or grunt) solely for the potty training. Don't use Bad Boy or Stop That. These 2 get overused. Good luck and happy potty training.