Adding a larger dog to a family with a small dog and a cat?

My boyfriend and I just bought our first house, with a large backyard. (Actually, the yard is bigger than the house!) We're looking to get a larger dog. We currently have a min pin/chi mix, and a cat. We'd like to adopt a larger dog. We'd like to adopt a…

My boyfriend and I just bought our first house, with a large backyard. (Actually, the yard is bigger than the house!) We're looking to get a larger dog. We currently have a min pin/chi mix, and a cat. We'd like to adopt a larger dog. We'd like to adopt a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Adding a larger dog to a family with a small dog and a cat?...

• Adding a larger dog to a family with a small dog and a cat?

Adding a larger dog to a family with a small dog and a cat? General Dog Discussions
      My boyfriend and I just bought our first house, with a large backyard. (Actually, the yard is bigger than the house!) We're looking to get a larger dog. We currently have a min pin/chi mix, and a cat. We'd like to adopt a larger dog. We'd like to adopt a rescue dog. Here's what we're looking for:Under 90lbsMale (the chi is female, spayed)Semi-Active (The chi goes on two half mile walks a day)Gentle Good with Kids (I have nieces and nephews, all under 8)What things should we look out for when adding another dog?

Adding a larger dog to a family with a small dog and a cat? General Dog Discussions
    • Tell the shelter you are planning to adopt from. They will be able to guide you to the animals that get along with others. Also, introduce the dogs on neutral territory. A dog park or some such place. You might also try taking your current dog to a dog park to get him used to being around other dogs, and dogs of other sizes. Patience, patience, patience. You may need to try several dogs out before you find the right match for your family. Animals like humans have distinct personalities and some blend better than others. Good Luck!

• make sure you ask the rescue centre if the dog : can live with cats,good with kids, best with a companion .try to get a dog that is anywere fro a puppy to 4 years as they will be more active and also adopting a puppy would be better as it will grow up with kids and other animals so it will be good.

• Most shelters/rescues will have an enclosed area where you can meet potential adoptees and introduce them to your dog as well so you can see how it might work out. A rescue that has foster homes might be your best bet as we know the dogs better then they would get to in a shelter environment (ie. i know how my fosters are with my cats, neighborhood kids, activity level etc.)Look for a dog thats happy and well adjusted, not nervous and not too pushy (or just look for a dog that you fall in love with if you are willing to work on the other issues) and be prepared to do some training no matter what the age or background. A lot of their previous training can be forgotten while moved around a lot and some have been dumped simply because no one bothered to do the training. Puppy or otherwise its part of owning a new dog. Health wise there shouldnt be too many issues if you adopt as they normally are vet checked and kept isolated for health issues before placed on the adoption floor with other animals. Other then that, expect a normal adjustment period, possibly a few squabbles as the dogs get used to each other, place a baby gate somewhere so that your cat can have a place to run and be alone until she gets used to the new dog and vice versa (sometimes easier to introduce through a crate).Congrats on adopting!