Amputating a portion of an adult dog's tail - cost?

I may need to have the tip of my Labrador's tail amputated. He just had surgery on it, and it is not healing like it should - it's only gotten worse. It's now infected (despite antibiotics and keeping it very clean), swollen, puss filled, and just looks…

I may need to have the tip of my Labrador's tail amputated. He just had surgery on it, and it is not healing like it should - it's only gotten worse. It's now infected (despite antibiotics and keeping it very clean), swollen, puss filled, and just looks…...
    General Dog Discussions : Amputating a portion of an adult dog's tail - cost?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Amputating a portion of an adult dog's tail - cost?

Amputating a portion of an adult dog's tail - cost? General Dog Discussions
      I may need to have the tip of my Labrador's tail amputated. He just had surgery on it, and it is not healing like it should - it's only gotten worse. It's now infected (despite antibiotics and keeping it very clean), swollen, puss filled, and just looks like it could fall off. I'm going into the vet tonight, I'll see what they say - but at the rate he slams his tail into things.. I think it's best that we just get the 3 inches amputated rather than prolong his suffering. Any idea how much this would cost on a 90lb adult Labrador? I'm trying to think of the cost for anesthetic and the surgery itself.. I just want to be prepared if that's what happens.

Amputating a portion of an adult dog's tail - cost? General Dog Discussions
    • I think you're in the US - here in the UK I'd guesstimate £200 - £350 - but if you ask they should give you an estimate. All practices vary in cost depending on the overheads they have for equipment/staff etc. It might be more in your area if you've got a particularly upmarket vets!Be aware that even with surgery, the end of the tail still needs to heal, and that can be problematic for the reasons that you've already found!If your dog is insured the insurance company should cover the cost minus the excess anyway :)Good luck!