what does it mean when the anal gland fluid is white paste not brown fluid?

I have two poodles. When I squeeze their anal glands one poodles anal gland fluid comes out normal brown fluid like you see in the video. But the other poodle has thick white paste that comes out. Why would that be. I should mention that he also has…

I have two poodles. When I squeeze their anal glands one poodles anal gland fluid comes out normal brown fluid like you see in the video. But the other poodle has thick white paste that comes out. Why would that be. I should mention that he also has…...
    General Dog Discussions : what does it mean when the anal gland fluid is white paste not brown fluid?...

• what does it mean when the anal gland fluid is white paste not brown fluid?

what does it mean when the anal gland fluid is white paste not brown fluid? General Dog Discussions
      I have two poodles. When I squeeze their anal glands one poodles anal gland fluid comes out normal brown fluid like you see in the video. But the other poodle has thick white paste that comes out. Why would that be. I should mention that he also has pancreatitis.

what does it mean when the anal gland fluid is white paste not brown fluid? General Dog Discussions
    • This means that his anal glands are impacted. They might have to be operated on, you should consult your vet. However, my dog (a maltese) had that issue for years and the vet never did anything. He wold scooch his bum around a lot on the floor though, because it irritated him. Do you notice your dog dragging his behind along the ground a lot?

• It could be something to do with him/her having pancreatitis or it could mean infection. White coloured fluid, thickish & pasty consistency, it indicates impaction and possible infection. I suggest taking your dog to a vet.

• As a groomer, I've seen a wide variety of anal sac (they aren't really glands) fluids. Ranging from dark brown to sickly yellow to chartreuse green, you have to wonder about the cause of so much variation. I can only guess that the colors vary due to what foods the dogs eat, which medications they are on and possibly other things.Anal sac infections are usually noted when small or larger whitish lumps or balls of thickish wet material are in with the regular fluid. Dogs with this need antibiotics and should definitely see a vet.An impaction would be suspected if NOTHING came out or if the fluid was extremely dry and thick, coming out in a kind of slow corkscrew . . . that would very possibly be an impaction about to happen. Dogs with either nothing coming out or the thick, dry, slow stuff coming out (sometimes just barely) should probably be seen by their vets. I always tell the owners about this even though our local vets say that as long as something comes out, it's not a problem.Since one of your dogs has a white paste, I think you should give your vet a call and ask about this. It could be due to medication or the pancreatitis, I don't know. If the vet says it is nothing, you can relax AND save yourself a vet visit or MAYBE your dog might need antibiotics. It would be best to get as professional opinion. Just call, ask the receptionist who answers the phone and leave your cell number for the doctor to call back.