Why does my dog rub and drags her butt against the floor?

I have a 1 year 8 month old shepard mix lab. For some reason she puts her butt against the floor/carpet and rubs and starts to drag it against the floor. She does constantly across the room as long as its carpeted. Does anyone know why a dog would do…

Why does my dog rub and drags her butt against the floor?

I have a 1 year 8 month old shepard mix lab. For some reason she puts her butt against the floor/carpet and rubs and starts to drag it against the floor. She does constantly across the room as long as its carpeted. Does anyone know why a dog would do…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog rub and drags her butt against the floor?...

• yea i know,dogs have a gland in there butt and some time it has to be drained and mixes shepard our knowed for this.you vet can do this and they can show you how also. but take care of this soon.you and i would hate to drag our butt. i have had a shepart mixes myself,Great dog!

• There are many reasons a dog may drag her rear end along the ground. If there is an irritation around the anal opening either due to an allergy or infection the dog may be trying to scratch the area. In other situations the dog is attempting to express two small glands on either side of the anal opening called anal glands. These usually discharge when the dog defecates but can become blocked and irritating to the dog. Some dogs will attempt to empty them by "scooting" their rear end along the ground. In either situation a veterinary visit is usually needed to treat the source of the scooting behavior.

• Likely possibilities: 1. Full anal glands. These are two small sacs whose openings are right near the anus. Normally they are expressed with the dog defecates but sometimes they don't and fill up. I can imagine that this is pretty uncomfortable....and a classic sign of this is rubbing the rear on the floor ("scooting"). If you have smelled an unpleasant kinda fishy odor...this is the smell of the fluid that is in those glands. Take dog to the vet to see if they need to be emptied. If not done, they can get infected and in severe cases, the glands can actually burst. Not too much fun. 2. Certain kinds of worms. Are itchy. Equaling butt dragging! You may or may not actually see them in your dog's stool. If tapeworms, you may have seen what looks like little bits of rice in the stool. Take a stool sample to your vet to have it checked. 3. Skin infections around the anus. 4. Fleas. Itchy, itchy, itchy. 5. Problems...er.....pinching off. Sometimes (esp in longer haired breeds) there remains some stool around the rear after pooping. 6. Aliens. Unlikely but you never know when aliens have possessed your dog's brain.

• It can either be worms (which in puppy age could be) or yes they often need their anal glands expressed. But by doing this dragging along the ground are doing it themself, therefore you should not need to take to the vet to get done. Sometimes they are just leaving their scent as a part of instinct.

• her anal glands are full. if her poo is soft ,it can't pop the glands. you need to change her diet so that her poo is firm. that way, it will pop the glands. if that doesn't work,take her to the vet, they will pop it.Beware, the liquid has a very strong smell. I know because i was in the exam room when the vet popped my dog's glands.

• Scooting is usually a sign that the anal sacs are causing irritation. They could be full, impacted or infected. Take her to the vet and get it checked out. Also allergies to foods can cause scooting.Worms are NOT a likley cause of scooting.

• the anal glands are full. they squirt out stuff whenever your dog goes poop. each dogs smells different. they sometimes get full and clogged up, and dogs shoot because they are trying to express the glands by pressure(the weight of the dog against the glands pressing the floor). Any vet or groomer can express the glands for you, most wont charge. You can do it yourself, but it is really nasty, just stop by the vet and ask them to express her anal glands.