12 year old cat, really bad mouth problems?

Our cat has had some mouth soreness for a few weeks now and the other day she had some blood trickling out of her mouth. I was not able to get her into the vet until this Friday. She is walking around now with her mouth hanging open and the smell is…

Our cat has had some mouth soreness for a few weeks now and the other day she had some blood trickling out of her mouth. I was not able to get her into the vet until this Friday. She is walking around now with her mouth hanging open and the smell is…...
    General Dog Discussions : 12 year old cat, really bad mouth problems?...

• 12 year old cat, really bad mouth problems?

12 year old cat, really bad mouth problems? General Dog Discussions
      Our cat has had some mouth soreness for a few weeks now and the other day she had some blood trickling out of her mouth. I was not able to get her into the vet until this Friday. She is walking around now with her mouth hanging open and the smell is just unbearable. We looked in her mouth today and it looks like 1/2 her mouth is just rotten; black and puss filled. Is there anything we can to help her right now, and do you think it's something the vet will be able to help without costing us a fortune? We love the cat, but are not going to spend hundreds of dollars on her. btw, we didn't neglect taking her to the vet, we live in a town with one vet, so just not able to get in. Should I prepare my wife and daughter that she may not be coming back from her vet visit?

12 year old cat, really bad mouth problems? General Dog Discussions
    • That sounds terrible! I don't know what the situation will be but it probably will cost quite a bit. Poor kitty! I'm sorry your pet is so sick. I wish you the best and I hope the vet can do something.

• wow that sounds really bad. is there any way they can squeze her in are vet dose that. idk what they could do for that. it might be and extremly bad infection. and it would take a lot of work to fix it.by the way it sounds i would say that it might be to far to save.I am so sorry about your cat!!!

• Aw! Pete, i'm so sorry about this. She is 12 you say? That's about that time. :( :( I am sure your vet can find something to help her but yes, it might be really expensive. (esspecially if there is only one vet around) And I'm sure he/she'll suggest to put her down instead. I hate that. :( She's in pain it sounds like. Please try to cure her. :( For the future, save up about 10 dollars a pay check for your pets medical emergencies. I do this with my babies and it really comes in handy.. until I can find some pet insurance.

• It actually sounds like she may just have some kind of infection. Infection smells terrible and can cause the puss and bleeding. They will probably give her some antibiotics at first to see if that helps and then go from there. With cats you cant give them stuff over the counter like you can dogs, it can kill them. They are more sensitive. Im sure it hurts her but really she is probably just gonna have to hold out till friday. I work at a vet clinic, I'm not a vet but you pick things up when you have been there a couple years.

• Has your vet ever cleaned your cats teeth? Ours does it every few years to prevent tooth problems & gingivitis. If not, she will probably at least have to have some of her teeth pulled. I would normally suggest using peroxide in the meantime but I don't know how you could possibly do that! I'm so sorry! I really hope everything works out for you all.