Any tips to get my dog to take pills?

He's on 16 pills a day right now, 8 in the am and 8 in the pm. He's been really sick lately with a staff infection and skin rashes. Thankfully he's much better, but I have to continue with the antibiotics for 2 weeks. Everytime I try to hide the pill…

Any tips to get my dog to take pills?

He's on 16 pills a day right now, 8 in the am and 8 in the pm. He's been really sick lately with a staff infection and skin rashes. Thankfully he's much better, but I have to continue with the antibiotics for 2 weeks. Everytime I try to hide the pill…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any tips to get my dog to take pills?...

• Do NOT crush the pills up UNLESS your veterinarian tells you it's okay to do so for that specific medication. The proper absorption of some meds can be messed up that way, rendering them much less effective. And don't use things like hot dogs and sausage....they cause digestive disturbances, whether you see evidence of that or not.Look for a product called "pill pockets." Your DVM might carry them, or they might be available at a pet store. Surprisingly, most dogs (and cats) who spit out pills hidden in food will take them in pill pockets with no problem.My preferred way is to just 'poke' them down the throat...but when a pet is on as many pills a day as yours is, the pill pockets make life sooooooo much easier on both the pet and the owner.

• check with your vet or local pet supply store for something called pill pockets, they come packaged for different size dogs. also try some cream cheese, sometimes that will work. i have had dogs that will take them with a small piece of bananna. i have also had dogs that will take them in a small piece of whole grain bread. be sure to first give your dog an unpilled piece of what you are using to kind of bait him, he will probably be happy to get the second peice. just check with your vet to make sure that whatever you try to use will not irritate his skin condition. good luck, it's not easy.

• Open his mouth and put the pills way far back in his mouth, then hold his mouth shut firmly, and lift his head up and ma sage his neck push downward not upward or inward. This helps the dog swallow it. And if he ever starts to choke ma sage his throat upward.

• Open his mouth wide and put the pills at the back of his throat.Close his mouth shut with your hands clamped firmly around his muzzle. Then stroke his throat a few times to coax his swallowing reflex. Good luck with poor sick doggie!

• My mom just pushes them down the dog's throat and then gives them a treat if they take them good. Sometimes they spit them back out but if you stick them far enough down then they cant. They also associate swallowing them nicely with getting a treat. Good luck! Hope your doggie feels better!

• Your poor baby!! I am so glad to hear that he is feeling better, and good for you to recognize that the entire course of treatment must be completed, even though he is feeling better.Many dogs dont like to take pills to begin with, & such a regimen is probably trying his patience as well as yours. One 'treat' I found worked well when my geriatric pooch lost her appetite was to smoosh the pills in a strongly flavored cheese spread. I used Merkts Bacon-Cheddar, it smelled & tasted good to her. Please, DO NOT CRUSH the medication unless your vet has given the OK. However, if it is ok to crush pills, & open capsules, many times it is helpful to break them down to the powder form & mush them into the cheese spread. This way, there is no swallowing of an item needed, & they can be given in one 'dose' of cheese. Since you mentioned antibiotics, talk with your vet about a pro-biotic paste or other formula to help your dogs digestion. Antibiotics will wipe out the natural bacteria in their gut that aids in processing their food, & will cause them to lose their appetite & possibly suffer from diarrhea. Pro-biotics will replace this natural bacteria. An alternative to the paste (which you can get from your vet) is acidophilus capsules which can be opened over food, or plain/vanilla yogurt. Check with your vet to make sure this will not interfere with the course of treatment, but since your pooch is on so much medication, it may help him feel better even faster, & if he has lost his appetite, may help get it back & be interested in peanut butter again!Good luck, & he is a lucky pooch to have such a loving person.

• PUT THE PILL IN A LITTLE BALL OF LIVERWURST....WAIT TIL SHES HUNGRY......I JUST CAME THROUGH TWO WEEKS WITH THREE SICK DOGS WITH TWO MEDS THREE TIMES A DAY.....AND NO PROBLEM YOU GIVE IT AND THEN HAVE A SECOND PIECE READY SO SHE WILL SWALLOW THE FIRST ONE IMMEDIATELY TO GET THE NEXT PIECE......DOESNT HAVE TO BE LARGE....GOOD LUCK

• There's this dog product called Pill Pockets and all you have to do is tuck the pill in and feed it to the dog. If your dog has to take 16 pills a day he can get really fat if he is eating peanut butter and meat with every pill. That could lead to other problems. The Pill Pockets are low on calories. It's made by the same company as Greenies, and there's more information at http://www.pillpockets.com. Best of luck and hope your dog will get better soon!