How Do i make a healthy HOMEMADE! diet for my shetland sheep dog?

he is a year old and he is getting a little on the chubby side....so i decided to make a homemade meal for him everyday, i just dont know waht to out in it....I NEED MAJOR HELP!!! PLEASE SERIOUS ANASWERS ONLY!

he is a year old and he is getting a little on the chubby side....so i decided to make a homemade meal for him everyday, i just dont know waht to out in it....I NEED MAJOR HELP!!! PLEASE SERIOUS ANASWERS ONLY!...
    General Dog Discussions : How Do i make a healthy HOMEMADE! diet for my shetland sheep dog?...

• How Do i make a healthy HOMEMADE! diet for my shetland sheep dog?

How Do i make a healthy HOMEMADE! diet for my shetland sheep dog? General Dog Discussions
      he is a year old and he is getting a little on the chubby side....so i decided to make a homemade meal for him everyday, i just dont know waht to out in it....I NEED MAJOR HELP!!! PLEASE SERIOUS ANASWERS ONLY!

How Do i make a healthy HOMEMADE! diet for my shetland sheep dog? General Dog Discussions
    • I would suggest searching for answers on Homemade diets here: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_RecipesMost of the people on YA are going to ridicule you, spout ignorance or otherwise be obnoxious. I don't feed homemade so I really cannot provide much help other than make sure he loses the weight slowly and steadily. Increased exercise and less 'snacking' on treats can both help. Good luck.add: I forgot...I believe Yahoo groups has several on the subject if you wish to join and get a bunch of questions answered by the experienced.

• I found this recipe from ehow.com (the link is listed below). It tells you what is good for your dog, and what percentage of their diet should be meat, veggies, and starch... Things You’ll Need: * Garlic * Dog Food Bowls * Eggs * Meat Grinders * Meats * Vegetables * StarchesStep1Know that it is wise to check with your vet before switching to homemade dog food.Step2Understand that dogs need a diet that consists of 40 percent meat, 30 percent vegetables and 30 percent starch. Follow this formula to ensure that your dog has a well-balanced diet.Step3Cook meat before feeding it to your dog.Step4Realize that organ meat (such as liver, kidneys, etc.) and eggs are very good for your dog.Step5Consider the fact that many experts believe commercial dog food is actually unhealthy for dogs. Often the meat that is used in dog food is of a quality considered unfit for humans.Step6Try making a mixture of ground turkey, rice and carrot for your own dog food. Meals made of ground beef, brown rice, brewer's yeast and carrots are also popular.Step7Rotate the foods you feed your dog so that the dog gets a variety of foods.Step8Add a tiny bit of cooked garlic to your dog food. Dogs enjoy the flavor and garlic is a natural flea repellent. Be sure to consult your vet before using garlic, however, as raw or spoiled garlic may be poisonous to dogs.Step9Use oatmeal, pasta, rice or potatoes for your dog's starch requirement.Step10Grind eggshells and add this to your dog's meal. Eggshells have a lot of nutrients.Step11Keep cooked dog food in the refrigerator no longer than three days.*Good Luck!*

• I think it's great that you've decided to take your dogs health into your own hands! I'm sure your dog will be much better off for it. I recommend a raw diet. It is easy to prepare and, if you have the freezer space to buy bulk, inexpensive. Before you begin to make and homemade diet, raw or otherwise, you should do some careful research as I'm sure you want to be able to provide a complete and balanced diet. These links should be a start to your research. Good luck!