Can you band (castrate) a dog like you can a cow or goat?

I know farmer's do this with livestock and cats, just wondered if you could do it to a dog. Using the elastic band.I know farmers do this, I am not going to do this, just researching it for a report on animal treatment. Funny how things turn so…

I know farmer's do this with livestock and cats, just wondered if you could do it to a dog. Using the elastic band.I know farmers do this, I am not going to do this, just researching it for a report on animal treatment. Funny how things turn so…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you band (castrate) a dog like you can a cow or goat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you band (castrate) a dog like you can a cow or goat?

Can you band (castrate) a dog like you can a cow or goat? General Dog Discussions
      I know farmer's do this with livestock and cats, just wondered if you could do it to a dog. Using the elastic band.I know farmers do this, I am not going to do this, just researching it for a report on animal treatment. Funny how things turn so controversial.

Can you band (castrate) a dog like you can a cow or goat? General Dog Discussions
    • No, I seriously doubt that you can. It sounds a bit cruel for the dog, especially nowadays how many programs for spaying and neutering are out there. In my area, you can get all sorts of discounts to encourage spaying and neutering.

• You should NOT do it with any animals. The elastic band cuts off circulation to the testicles. You know how it feels when your foot falls asleep? Then the tissue slowly dies. Then it rots against the body and eventually falls off. America has a history of extreme cruelty to farm animals in the name of farming or "providing food". Things they do to farm animals would get you thrown in jail if it's a dog or cat.

• Yes you could, No I wouldn't I have never seen it done to cats. A dog would probably injure itself trying to get the band off, or get the band off at an inopportune time causing bad swelling or infection. Maybe even death

• NO! You cannot. That is cruel and can lead to some really nasty infections. Just as an example, when I was working at a large clinic in Houston, some people brought in their Dachshund. Their grandfather, a Chinese immigrant who probably had lived in a very rural community in China and had little experience with companion animals, told them that they could do this to their dog to neuter him. So they wrapped a rubber band around the testicles and left it like that. Well, by the time we saw the dog, the testicles had rotted off (VERY PAINFUL!) and left a gaping wound just under the anus that was infected and fully open. We had to do some serious reconstructive surgery to repair the damage and the dog was in extreme pain by this point. Please just have your pets neutered by a competent veterinarian. There are low cost spay/neuter clinics in every area.And as far as I know, if anybody does this to a cat, it could be considered animal cruelty.

• Sure you can...if you're a cruel person who's looking to pay a fine and possibly spend some time in jail on charges of animal cruelty.If I saw anyone do that to any animal, I would probably punch them. i'd be willing to get arrested for that.

• Politically correct conventional wisdom is not necessarily biologically correct. Also, old wives tales regarding testicles and behavioral matters are often just that.The only true justifications for castrating dogs are 1) aggressive behavior toward other dogs in the same household, and 2) perianal adenoma in old dogs.Aggression to other dogs in situations outside the house is pretty normal dog behavior. Appropriate behavior. Since your dog will be on lead or inside a secure fence at all times, there should be no problem with dogs outside your household. However, if male house mates fight, and both need to stay with you, castration of one or both may solve the aggression problems. If you fault your dog for being aggressive to acquaintances while being walked on lead, you should not. He is guarding you. That simple. Honorable behavior. If you fault your dog for aggression in a 'dog park' where he is running free, or on the beach, or in the woods, well shame on you; you're the one at fault for risking his life in such an uncontrolled situation. Dogs that can manage such encounters without aggression are fine, but you cannot automatically expect a dog to have friendly relations with animals from outside his own 'pack'. It goes against his whole evolution.Perianal adenomas, benign but messy tumors in old dogs may be treated by castration.In terms of your dog's health, two overriding concerns are present. Castration at an early age will cause the dog to become overly tall, as the growth plates in the long bones will not close at the appropriate time; additionally, the dog will lack breadth of chest. The combination of these two factors sets the stage for your dog to have painful orthopedic problems. The OFA has published articles on this subject. An early age means below 1 year in small and medium sized dogs, and below 2 to 2.5 years in large and giant breeds.The statement that your dog will not automatically gain weight is rubbish. Removing sexual hormones will change his metabolism and make your dog more sluggish, resulting almost inevitably in weight gain. Also, muscle tone will decline after castration, and the classic result of this is a fat dog in poor muscle tone that ends up having a cruciate ligament rupture in the knee. Can you avoid the consequences to weight and condition? Sure in the ideal world it's possible, but in the real world, the overwhelming proportion of owners do not succeed in this endeavor.The second concern regarding your dog's health is highly malignant prostate cancer. Virtually all malignant prostatic tumors in dogs occur in castrated dogs. Castrating your dog puts him at risk for one of the worst cancers he can get. While you remove the very slight risk of testicular cancer in castrated dogs, that's a small matter; the incidence of testicular cancer is so minimal. Also, almost all testicular cancers in dogs are benign. If we find a testicular tumor, we normally remove the testicle with the mass and leave the remaining one intact. The relative incidence and severity of the tumors of the prostate relative to tumors of the testicle makes the decision to keep your dog intact a virtual no-brainer. The information on the incidence prostatic malignancies was obtained through a very large study of the records at veterinary colleges. These findings have been published for several years.*Infection or inflammation of the prostate may occur in intact male dogs that are chronically exposed to bitches in heat. These are often worrisome to owners who seem to confuse prostatitis with the more serious prostate cancer. Prostatic infections are easily treated, and not, per se, a reason for castration.So, the bottom line is: 1. Never castrate your dog because it is Politically Correct 2. Only castrate your dog if his home life is at risk due to dog-to-dog aggression, or if, at the age of 11 years or so, he develops a perianal adenoma

• ABOLUTELY NOT! It is dangerous and leads to infections not to mention extremely painful to the dog! Also it is defined as animal cruelty and will get you jail time and a fine! With all the low cost; some even free, neutering clinics why would you even consider it!

• I use to band my goats, and when we had cows, we banded the bull calves. I suppose you could do it with a dog..but it would have to be an older dog. Puppies testicles are real close to the body...would be hard to get the band around them properly. With calves and kids..the testicles are bigger and hang down lower than they do with a dog. Would I suggest someone do this?? No. You would have to do them surgically (not that I think anyone should do this..unless they know what they are doing)..the same way the vets do it. My dad use to raise hogs and we would castrate them right in the barn. He hung them up by their back legs, numbed the area, gave them some pain killer and did his own castrating. We never had one get infected...but we kept things clean.Oh...and I've never heard of a farmer neutering cats with a band...at least we never did.

• Of COURSE!!! Nuts are nuts! No difference between species.But...you MUST know what you're doing!Years ago,I helped a friend band a buch of barn-cats & it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!

• Of course you can castrate a dog via banding. You can castrate just about anything that way. Banding became popular in the mid 1900's due to how easy it is. But recently it has died off because people think it's cruel. Watch out though, depending on where you live you might break the law if you do. Having grown up on a ranch we always used a burzizzo on our dogs.