What do you want to ask about dogs? I have a large dog, Bull Mastiff crossed with an Amer. Bulldog.?

I have been told buy the vet. that he needs to lose 15-20 pounds. Present weight is 129#. Can you advise on a good diet program that would help in losing this weight.

What do you want to ask about dogs? I have a large dog, Bull Mastiff crossed with an Amer. Bulldog.?

I have been told buy the vet. that he needs to lose 15-20 pounds. Present weight is 129#. Can you advise on a good diet program that would help in losing this weight....
    General Dog Discussions : What do you want to ask about dogs? I have a large dog, Bull Mastiff crossed with an Amer. Bulldog.?...

• What do you want to ask about dogs? I have a large dog, Bull Mastiff crossed with an Amer. Bulldog.?

What do you want to ask about dogs? I have a large dog, Bull Mastiff crossed with an Amer. Bulldog.? General Dog Discussions
      I have been told buy the vet. that he needs to lose 15-20 pounds. Present weight is 129#. Can you advise on a good diet program that would help in losing this weight.

What do you want to ask about dogs? I have a large dog, Bull Mastiff crossed with an Amer. Bulldog.? General Dog Discussions
    • Nutro has some weight loss options, it helped my cat lose weight. Also try steaming up veggies and chicken to place in the food to keep him healthy and have a more natural energy. Try not to give treats, keep things natural. You can make doggie treats, let me know if you want that healthy recipe. And the obvious keep him exercised. Throw the ball, play tug of war, or walk with him. I know mastiffs are not active breeds, but with the veggies and chicken, it should give him a jump start. Never give sugar or any caffeine.

• Well, what is the level of exercise he is currently getting? What food are you feeding, and in what quantity? Is he free fed or do you regulate how much he eats? What is his age, what is is current weight? These are things I need to know if I'm going to offer any suggestions. Feel free to e-mail me. I've had success with quite a few dogs who needed to lose weight, and keep it off. One was a very hard one to do, but we managed to figure out what worked for her. I'd love to help, but I need to know his current situation.

• The most effective way is to immediately reduce the food ration of the dog.There is no hard and fast rules regarding the amount of food to be given as the quantity will depend on his level of activity. Also it is better to feed him only one good reduced meal each day in the morning and nothing in between. Besides diet, please do not forget about exercising the dogs. Long walk will do him tons of good.