Does anyone know how much it cost to have a dogs nail cliped under sedation?

My dog hates having her nails cut it has comes to it I am going to have to take her to the vets to be sedated to have them done.Just wondered if anyone else has had to have this done and roughly how much it cost? and how are they after they have been…

My dog hates having her nails cut it has comes to it I am going to have to take her to the vets to be sedated to have them done.Just wondered if anyone else has had to have this done and roughly how much it cost? and how are they after they have been…...
    General Dog Discussions : Does anyone know how much it cost to have a dogs nail cliped under sedation?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does anyone know how much it cost to have a dogs nail cliped under sedation?

Does anyone know how much it cost to have a dogs nail cliped under sedation? General Dog Discussions
      My dog hates having her nails cut it has comes to it I am going to have to take her to the vets to be sedated to have them done.Just wondered if anyone else has had to have this done and roughly how much it cost? and how are they after they have been sedated?

Does anyone know how much it cost to have a dogs nail cliped under sedation? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends on the vet and what they use. Many vets can do it without sedation once the dog is away from the owner. Really. You should call your vet and ask. If you have not been in within the last year, they may require an exam first, so it might be more.

• Don't be so sure the vet will have to sedate the dog. Sometimes when the dogs are not in the presence of their owner, they act totally different. I have a small terrier that is aggressive toward people. Eventually he needed to be bathed and have a hair cut, and I found a place that does sedation. Imagine my surprise when I went to pick him up and they came carrying him out of the back, telling me he did fine without sedation.

• my first dog was pretty neurotic about having his nails trimmed and i brought him once to the vet to be sedated and the charge was $30 for a 28 pound dog (plus the nail cutting charge) ... but to be honest, they gave my dog three doses of the sedation and he was still not sedated and they just took him and did it ... he started to fall asleep on the way home ... not sure how big your dog is but i ended up using a very large beach towel and wrapping him snug in it and taking one paw out at a time and i just got the job done ... i was very careful to just snip the tips cuz if you hit the quick it will make the whole process even more of a challenge ... and after about a year i did not have to swaddle him, he just dealt with it ... if you have a biter, you can even get a muzzle (mine was not a biter but i did throw a small towel over his head) and i always had someone to help restrain him ...

• I m a vet tech and I have never had to sedate an animal to trim its nails. Sedation causes a huge stress on the body of the animal, and can be dangerous, so why make the animal go through that? Even with mean or frightened animals I have been able to restrain it safely and comfortably (for the animal, not necessarily for me) to trim its nails. And yes it does help when the owner is out of the room; pets know they can get away with bad behavior around their owners, but around new people they usually freeze and let us do the job. Find a competent vet and well trained techs and your pet will have trimmed nails in no time.