How can I find a guinea pig groomer?

My guinea pig is impossible to groom. He has big clumps, and so much hair! Does anybody know a good guinea pig groomer

My guinea pig is impossible to groom. He has big clumps, and so much hair! Does anybody know a good guinea pig groomer...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I find a guinea pig groomer?...

• How can I find a guinea pig groomer?

How can I find a guinea pig groomer? General Dog Discussions
      My guinea pig is impossible to groom. He has big clumps, and so much hair! Does anybody know a good guinea pig groomer

How can I find a guinea pig groomer? General Dog Discussions
    • Go to the bathroom and look in the mirror. That's your best guinea pigs groomer! Long hairs require daily grooming so you really can't contract out the job!OK! Here is the scoop on longhairs based on over 40 years of raising showing and grooming Peruvians. An ounce of prevention isn't worth a pound of cure - it is worth a TON of cure! You cannot groom out a mat with brushes or combs. As you have probably discovered, pigs become very unhappy when you groom a mat! Think about trying to brush or comb your own hair with bubble gum or something similar stuck in it. It is more than uncomfortable, it HURTS! So, where you are now is that you have to get out the mat you have and prevent new ones from forming. Ordinarily you can loosen a mat by cutting to it perpendicular to the skin in several places and then working it loose with your fingers. I think that you are beyond that point and the only thing to do is trim at skin level. This is a delicate job that needs to be done carefully and will take some time and patience. First off, get a pair of scissors with blunt tips to avoid sticking your pig. Put a towel in your lap and set the pig in the space between your legs facing you so you can put some pressure on her with your thighs to help keep her still. If you are right handed, hold the scissors in your right hand and use your left to press up lightly on the top of the mat, You will see some hair between the mat and skin at the top edge, Snip carefully a small bit at a time. It might be as little as 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Slowly work your way right and left and into/under the mat releasing the mat a bit at a time. Keep this up until you have the whole mat trimmed off. It could take an hour or more because it is slow going! If you feel that you cannot do it, you can take it to the vet that does grooming or to a dog/cat groomer but it is going to cost you at least $35 and probably a good bit more because it is going to take time and time is money to a groomer Once the mat is removed, give her a bath in warm water with baby shampoo. Be sure that she is thoroughly rinsed. Left over shampoo is both irritating and makes the hair mat. With the dried pig sitting on a towel on a table, trim around her coat at table level so that nothing drags. She should be brushed daily with a natural bristle brush. This helps clean the coat. The brush should be washed in shampoo weekly. You will need to trim her weekly and you need to have a clean cage. The only way to have a coat longer than ground level is to wrap it. We start at about 10-12 weeks See http://photobucket.com/peruvian_ages for what they look like as the coat grows and http://photobucket.com/wrapping to see how to wrap.