What dog breeds are best for people with allergies towards dogs?

I've wanted a dog for quite some time now but a good friend of mine has a dog and I am strongly allergic to the dog (it is a dachshund) so I have been put off having a dog for that reason. But I am getting to the point now where I just really want a dog…

I've wanted a dog for quite some time now but a good friend of mine has a dog and I am strongly allergic to the dog (it is a dachshund) so I have been put off having a dog for that reason. But I am getting to the point now where I just really want a dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : What dog breeds are best for people with allergies towards dogs?...

• What dog breeds are best for people with allergies towards dogs?

What dog breeds are best for people with allergies towards dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I've wanted a dog for quite some time now but a good friend of mine has a dog and I am strongly allergic to the dog (it is a dachshund) so I have been put off having a dog for that reason. But I am getting to the point now where I just really want a dog so what would be some of the best dog breeds for me? Thanks

What dog breeds are best for people with allergies towards dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Dogs with hair as opposed to a "coat". Examples are ShihTzus,, Lhasa Apsos, poodles, yorkies. These are dogs typically with long silky hair, that doesn't shed like other short haired dogs. The inconvenience is the above mentioned dogs require a lot of grooming.

• poodles, mexican hairless, chinese crested, labradoodle are all breeds that reduce the risk of allergic reactions but no dog breed is guaranteed to be a completely allergy free for the owner.the hairless dogs though tend to need a lot of extra care because they need regular bathing and need to be moisturised. they also need to be kept warm in winter and covered up in summer to avoid sunburn and skin Cancer.try your local rescue shelters first unless you are adamant about having a pure breed dog. there are thousands in need of homes and there may be some of the above breeds there too.the shelters will also be able to give you more advice on the breeds that give less allergic reactions in us humans.http://allergies.about.com/od/animalandpetallergy/tp/hypoaller_dog.htm

• All dogs have skin so all dogs will create dander.. there are no hypoallergenic dogs, just less ones than others. Top 10 breeds for people with allergies:Bishon FriseSchnauzerYorkieBedlington TerrierShih TzuPoodleItalian GreyhoundChinese CrestedBasenjiSamoyedGood luck and happy holidays!

• It really depends on how allergic you are, and what part of the dog you're allergic to. Some people only have issues with dander, and other's are allergic to just the saliva, but most are allergic to both. Some people only get mild reactions, such as itchy eyes, but since you say "strongly allergic", I assume you mean you break out into rashes among other symptoms? If you're allergic to saliva and you break out, I really wouldn't suggest you get ANY breed. Even poodles shed, and to people who are strongly allergic, even a poodle can be hell to own, and poodles are known for being the most allergy friendly dog breed. (I really do NOT suggest any lab mixes as labs are the highest shedders, and only 1/3 of "laberdoodles" have the poodle quality fur, the other 2/3 tend to be mild to high shedders and high oil producers. Whoever bred a laberdoodle for anything other then retrieving/hunting really has no business being in the dog ownership world.))If all you get is itchy eyes and maybe a runny nose, try asking your doctor if you can have some medicine for it, and then start looking at dogs. Poodles, both standard and toy, are the most common dog for allergy sufferers. Their fur is more like hair, and they don't shed very often. Yorkshire terriers are also great dogs, so are Maltese, bichon french, and chinese creastleast (hairless). Do NOT, however, fall to the scumbag word of a BYB or pupymill and buy a mix-bred dog who has one parent that isn't considered "hypoallergenic". Almost every "doodle" mix, especially "Laberdoodle" and "goldendoodle" tend to be very high shedders. A lot of these kind of dogs get turned into shelters and rescues becuase people bought them without doing any research to know that not even half of such mixes turn out with the poodle quality of low shedding. Are you allergic to just dogs, or any animal? If it's just dogs, you might consider a cat. In many ways, they are just like dogs. They wait for you at the door, you can teach them neat tricks, they meow at you, their affectionate, and you can even walk them. However, if your allergic to any animal's saliva, a cat would be the worst thing for you to get, as they lick themselves constant making for some awful allergy suffering pets. You can also consider rabbits. They are easier on allergy sufferers, a bit easier to take care of, and they, too, tend to act a lot like dogs. However, rabbits are notorious for flinging stuff around and out of their cage, making some nasty messes, and if you don't clean out their cage often, they stink quickly.

• Short haired ones like Short Haired Collies (they will need a lot of exercise though) german shepherds,irish setter only problem is all these dogs that i have mentioned are very strong or need a lot of exercise!P.s Have you tried rescue centres if you tell them you have an allergy to some dogs they can help you find a dog that you not allergic too. You don't even have to take it home with you (though it would be nice if you did!) you can just look for dogs of that breedGood Luck

• Well if your allergies aren't too severe, maybe a low-shedding dog like a poodle or Bichon fries. But if it's to the point where you can't be around any dog, don't risk harming yourself. Find an alternative like Ron stoppable did on Kim possible. His dad was allergic to pet fur so he had to get a hairless pet. He got a naked mole rat named Rufus and they were best friends.

• I'm a allergic to animals. I always have been, i also have bad asthma so that doesn't help with they're shedding fur. I was told Poodles would be best. We now have two miniature poodles and they don't bring on any allergies. They may be expensive but they are great dogs. We paid seven hundred for a girl and a boy. One white and one black.