Can you possibly diagnose my dog's sickness?

Please don't respond to this unless you have experience with this situation or understand what you're talking about. So, I recently went on vacation to cancun. My husband and I placed our dog in a nearby kennel and planned for him to stay there eight…

Please don't respond to this unless you have experience with this situation or understand what you're talking about. So, I recently went on vacation to cancun. My husband and I placed our dog in a nearby kennel and planned for him to stay there eight…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you possibly diagnose my dog's sickness?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you possibly diagnose my dog's sickness?

Can you possibly diagnose my dog's sickness? General Dog Discussions
      Please don't respond to this unless you have experience with this situation or understand what you're talking about. So, I recently went on vacation to cancun. My husband and I placed our dog in a nearby kennel and planned for him to stay there eight nights. In the middle of the week, I got a call saying that my dog, Springer Spaniel, had two seizures at the kennel. The first seizure lasted thirty seconds. He seemed a little confused after it stopped, but then he carried on. The second seizure lasted a minute and he still remained pretty normal after. He has never had a seizure before and is a very healthy dog. The only other problem he had dealt with in the past was a torn meniscus, but I don't think that plays a role in the seizures. The kennel rushed him to the vet and she took some blood tests. His white blood cell count is very high and she had mentioned something with his liver. The vet said many of these cases deal with lyme disease, but he was recently checked and it is not likely. After being examined the next few days, the vet gave him medication for the seizures and he threw up. He has never experienced anything like this before and I don't understand where it is coming from. He is a healthy springer spaniel, age 6, 50 pounds, and is very active. If you have any experience with this as a doctor or through your own dog, please comment. I don't want people commenting "I don't know" underneath because that doesn't help. Thanks

Can you possibly diagnose my dog's sickness? General Dog Discussions
    • Has your dog been in a kennel before? If the dog hasn't it is probably from stress. If dogs haven't been in a kennel before they can get stressed not having there mum and dad (you and your husband) around has got the dog thinking that your going to leave it there.plus all the other dogs barking and they might give your dog different food. All you need to do is take your dog home and let him/her relax and if the seizures keep happening take him/her to the vets. I hope this helps.

• I'm sorry to say that there are no veterinarians on Yahoo Answers. I've had two dogs that had seizures, seemingly out of the blue. From them, I learned that it is very hard to pinpoint the cause of seizures and that many seizures get labeled as "idiopathic" meaning that the cause is unknown.If you do a quick Yahoo Search for "causes of seizures in dogs" you will find that there are *many* possible causes.The first dog of mine that had seizures, I later learned had been grabbed by her neck and violently shaken by another, larger dog. I don't know for sure but I've always thought that was the most likely cause. My vet couldn't pinpoint the cause and never said if that was or was not the cause, he only said it could have been so I don't really know.My second dog probably had low blood sugar but I never saw her have a seizure until the day she died, and then it was too late to do anything. She had a seizure and died.You are fortunate that someone saw your dog having a seizure and so something can be done for your dog.There is no way I can diagnose the cause of your dog's seizures if your vet can't, I'm sorry. I can tell you about the seizure medication, though. This is what you need to know. After a while (no set amount of time) the seizure medication will stop working so well and your dog will have seizures again. Then you have to call the vet and tell him or her. Seizure meds are controlled substances and so only a veterinarian can increase the dose. The vet can do this for your dog over the phone and then record it on the dog's medical chart.Later on, the dog will need an increased dosage again. And again. You must contact (make a phone call) the vet each time, to keep it all legal.A little vomiting is nothing to worry about, unless it happens ever time the dog is given its medication.I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.

• seizures occur when their is an issue with chemicals in the brain. this can be caused by tons of things and could be stress but very unlikely. by the way high white blood cell count means that his body is fighting an infection