Why is my dog acting different/strange?

My dog is a pit bull/terrier mix, and she is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Her behavior is always amazing and she is always well-behaved. She hardly EVER barks, she does what she is told, she knows her limits (what she can touch/do, what she can not…

My dog is a pit bull/terrier mix, and she is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Her behavior is always amazing and she is always well-behaved. She hardly EVER barks, she does what she is told, she knows her limits (what she can touch/do, what she can not…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is my dog acting different/strange?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is my dog acting different/strange?

Why is my dog acting different/strange? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a pit bull/terrier mix, and she is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Her behavior is always amazing and she is always well-behaved. She hardly EVER barks, she does what she is told, she knows her limits (what she can touch/do, what she can not touch/do), she is proper on walks, she is house trained, and she is overall sweet and loving to everyone.Yet these past two days have been odd. She's been barking a lot, even at people she wouldn't before (family members)! She's been hectic on walks, (paranoia at little sounds, barking at people passing by, and sniffing EVERYTHING. It's strange, she sniffs even the pavement), she's pooped inside the house, growls at people for no reason, and she has been disobeying like crazy! She knows not to beg at the table, chew on things not her own, etc. and she doesn't obey her commands anymore! It's like she feels the need to be rebellious.I don't know if this'll help, but, she's 4 years old, about 50 pounds, and she eats about 3 cups of food per day. Also, my mom had suggested that maybe she's just cranky from a lack of sleep? She goes to bed when I go to bed, and I get around 8-6 hours of sleep a day, but she takes naps throughout the day.Please help me find out what's wrong with my dog! :(She IS spayed btw!

Why is my dog acting different/strange? General Dog Discussions
    • First of all, dogs don't "feel the need to be rebellious." Is she spayed? A lot of those behaviors sound like a female in heat. If she is spayed, then it sounds like she is not feeling well at all, and I would get her to the vet.

• Because this is a drastic change in behavior, I would take her to the vet. She's not feeling rebellious; that's not how dogs typically work and it definitely sounds like something your dog *wouldn't* do. Most times, when you have behavioral issues that are out of the blue, it's because there's something physically wrong. And it sounds like she may be in pain, with the barking and growling. Gentle, submissive dogs will do that when they are hurting or feel threatened. So, take your sweet girl to the vet.One of my dogs is prone to urinary tract infections and when he gets one, he has lots of accidents in the house, because it hurts him to hold his urine. I could take that as him not obeying his potty training, but it's just because he's in pain that he does it. He's not being bad, he just can't hold it any more. Another one of my dogs marks things when he gets scared/stressed. It's not often, but when it happens, I don't punish him, I just figure out what's causing the fear, fix it, and then it fixes the problem. More than most animals, dogs try to live at peace with others. That's why dog training works because you're communicating what you want/expect and they want to keep things peaceful. And dogs communicate with a lot of non-verbal signals.

• 3AjaMarissaAshley36773 wrote:

My dog is a pit bull/terrier mix, and she is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Her behavior is always amazing and she is always well-behaved. She hardly EVER barks, she does what she is told, she knows her limits (what she can touch/do, what she can not touch/do), she is proper on walks, she is house trained, and she is overall sweet and loving to everyone.Yet these past two days have been odd. She's been barking a lot, even at people she wouldn't before (family members)! She's been hectic on walks, (paranoia at little sounds, barking at people passing by, and sniffing EVERYTHING. It's strange, she sniffs even the pavement), she's pooped inside the house, growls at people for no reason, and she has been disobeying like crazy! She knows not to beg at the table, chew on things not her own, etc. and she doesn't obey her commands anymore! It's like she feels the need to be rebellious.I don't know if this'll help, but, she's 4 years old, about 50 pounds, and she eats about 3 cups of food per day. Also, my mom had suggested that maybe she's just cranky from a lack of sleep? She goes to bed when I go to bed, and I get around 8-6 hours of sleep a day, but she takes naps throughout the day.Please help me find out what's wrong with my dog! :(She IS spayed btw!

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I also have a female pittbulls same age and weight and acting the same strange way, she is also normally very well behaved and listens except for past 6 weeks.

• Love120911 wrote:

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I also have a female pittbulls same age and weight and acting the same strange way, she is also normally very well behaved and listens except for past 6 weeks.

Since it is a sudden change in behaviour it maybe triggered by a medical condition or a environmental factor such as lightening or an inappropriate action by someone (or an another animal) in the street.

For medical condition factors you should take your dog to a Veterinary hospital and fully describe your dog's condition and mention that it was a sudden change in behaviour.

For environmental factors you should start to discipline your dog. Never give your dog any kind of affection when she is having an unwanted behaviour because it will make that behaviour a positive action in her mind.

In my opinion first please do the medical check at a Pet Hospital to make sure everything is fine medically .... then I will help you with the behavioural issues.

Good luck