What are all the dog supplies i need?

I will be getting a 5 month old Golden Retriever soon. What are all the supplies do i need? and i mean EVERYTHING. From grooming,food,treats,toys,crate,dog house, dog bed, ect.. I Would like to have ALL of his stuff before i take him home. So that i can…

I will be getting a 5 month old Golden Retriever soon. What are all the supplies do i need? and i mean EVERYTHING. From grooming,food,treats,toys,crate,dog house, dog bed, ect.. I Would like to have ALL of his stuff before i take him home. So that i can…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are all the dog supplies i need?...

• What are all the dog supplies i need?

What are all the dog supplies i need? General Dog Discussions
      I will be getting a 5 month old Golden Retriever soon. What are all the supplies do i need? and i mean EVERYTHING. From grooming,food,treats,toys,crate,dog house, dog bed, ect.. I Would like to have ALL of his stuff before i take him home. So that i can just devote my time to him, and not go crazy shopping once he's arrived.Not only generalize, but what would you recommend on a certain type of food? or treat? or your pet's favorite toy? ect...Thanks!

What are all the dog supplies i need? General Dog Discussions
    • -Collar: Collars come in many different materials; recommended are double-ply nylon and leather. Make sure that you can fit the width two fingers between the collar and your dog's neck (a little under two inches of slack). If your dog has a head that's thinner than its neck is wide, a martingale collar needs to be purchased for your dog's safety (any kind of dog can also wear a martingale, and is an excellent safety measure since it prevents your dog from slipping out of its collar).-Leash: The sturdiest leashes are made of leather or double-ply nylon, and a length of at least four feet long is recommended. A retractable leash is convenient for taking your dog to an isolated park area, but extreme caution should be exercised when walking your dog on sidewalks or roads, or in areas where there are many other dogs as it is more difficult to control your dog with that kind of leash. Always make sure the retractable leash is rated for use of the weight of your dog (for instance, if your dog is 60 pounds, err on the side of caution and purchase the leash that is rated for dogs 60-70 lbs. and not for dogs of 50-60 lbs.).-Pooper scooper and waste bags-Safe Car Transportation: Even if your dog will only ride in your vehicle occassionally, it is still necessary to provide something to ensure his or her safety while going for rides. You can purchase a carrier case (for smaller dogs) or a kennel to fit in your car. Harnesses specifically for car-use are also available and latch into your seat belt system to keep your dog contained for its safety.-Crate, cage, or exercise pen: Make sure the crate purchased is large enough to hold your dog as an adult. If the crate is too large for your adult dog, it may make housetraining difficult (for puppies, a box or blankets can be used to take up space in the crate until the dog gets bigger so you don't have to purchase several crates).-ID tag: These can be purchased at any PetSmart. You can also purchase special tags that lay flat against your dog's collar through www.luckypet.com or www.boomerangtags.com. Make sure to include any medical information on the tag, especially if your dog requires regularly-administered medication.-Bed: Beds should be large enough for your dog to sprawl out comfortably-- at least 3' x 4' for a large dog. The best beds are ones with a cover that has a zipper so you can take it off to wash it regularly. Cedar filling can be good to keep that doggy smell at bay, but some dogs are allergic and can get some skin irritation, so if you'd like cedar bedding make sure to get one with other types of bed filler as well to keep your dog's skin in good shape.-Food: Premium or ultra-premium foods should only be fed (Blue Buffalo, Innova, Solid Gold, Taste of the wild...)-Water and Food Bowls: Stainless steel and ceramic bowls are the easiest to care for, as you can put them in your dishwasher and are more sterile than plastic bowls, which can harbour bacteria. Some animals are also allergic to certain plastics, and using those bowls can cause skin irritation around the mouth; stainless steel and ceramic bowls will prevent this.-Food Storage: A large plastic bin with a seal-able lid is highly recommended to keep your food safe and fresh.-Vitamins: General vitamins are helpful to your dog's health, and fish oil can also be beneficial (especially for dogs with stiff joints or unhealthy coats and skin).-Vaccinations: Your dog will have at least two rounds of vaccinations; if it is due for the next round within the next few days you can take it to the One of a Kind Pet Rescue Adoption Center on W. Market St. for the final round, or to your veterinarian if the round is due within two weeks.-Heart Worm Prevention Medication and flea/tick medication: It is advisable for you to consult your vet before administering these medicines. Incorrect products can result in death should your pet become toxic from the product. It is NECESSARY to have all dogs on heartworm preventative every year! We see many deaths as a result of heartworm.-Dog Care Literature: If you know what breed (or breeds) your dog is, it is helpful to read up on what illnesses those breeds may be known for to prepare for any future medical needs. It is also a good idea to be familiar with general dog illnesses that are common to many dog breeds (ear infections, hip displasia, gastric torsion...).-Brushes and Grooming Tools: Make sure to keep your dog's fur type in mind. For short-haired dogs, a rubber curry brush is perfect. For those with longer fur, a slicker brush and comb are great to get down to the skin to prevent matting. Brushes like Furminators are great for dogs with thick, double-layer coats, but are not effective for dogs with single layered coats as the brush penetrates too deep into the coat since it actually cuts the fur.-Shampoo: Shampoo bottles with pumps are extremely convenient, and you should choose the right shampoo for your d

• I have a lab and she loves rubber toys and squeaky balls.. once it gets a little older, you can buy rawhides for it. they keep her busy and they keep the teeth clean and prevent bad doggie breath. when choosong a food, make sure you check the nutrition facts. its important for dogs to have the right balance. we give our allie mae purina one. its a little more expensive, but it's important for your dogs health. But to start out make sure you have dog shampoo, leash and harness, brush, nail clippers if its an inside dog, a collar with name tag, doggie dishes (make sure they're big so that you wont have to purchase new ones as the dog grows) a crate, a doggie bed, and any training supplies you want. Good luck with your new dog!!!! :)