How long does a dog remember their owner?

Say, if the owner goes away for a few months - does the dog remember their owner, or do they adapt out of survival to the caregivers and environment of the moment?Serious answers only, please.

Say, if the owner goes away for a few months - does the dog remember their owner, or do they adapt out of survival to the caregivers and environment of the moment?Serious answers only, please....
    General Dog Discussions : How long does a dog remember their owner?...

• How long does a dog remember their owner?

How long does a dog remember their owner? General Dog Discussions
      Say, if the owner goes away for a few months - does the dog remember their owner, or do they adapt out of survival to the caregivers and environment of the moment?Serious answers only, please.

How long does a dog remember their owner? General Dog Discussions
    • I had to give my dog away and when I saw her again after 5 years she knew it was me immediatly. (I hadn't even raised her from puppyhood, I found her as a stray and had her for 3 years)

• I was asking this same question not so long ago, but I can tell you the real answer, cos I've just experienced it!My dog had to go into kennels whilst we moved house. We were in a housing chain which was delayed, so we had to stay with relatives, but he couldn't come with us. He was only 5 months, and I was worried he'd forget me. I went to visit after the first week, and then not again til the last week, because I found it too upsetting. He was in there for 7 weeks in total, and when I went back, he knew me straight away. He happily jumped in my car, went straight out into the garden in the new house for a poo and a wee, and just adpated back to life as it was before...it amazed me if I'm honest! He hasn't had an accident in the house (he was only semi house trained before he went into kennels, and I thought kennels would've made him worse!)...he is still brilliant off-lead and will come back no matter what....it honestly feels like he was never away!So my answer is, that I think a dog will remember it's owner for a very long time.

• i foster a dog maybe once or twice a year when her owners are away, i never see her in between, as soon as she sees me & has a sniff she knows its me. she gets soooo excited, its hartwarming to see. awwww bless. shame she hates my own dog though.

• I would say forever, my grandad had a German shepherd when we were little, when my grandad died the dog was taken by another relative up to Scotland and we didn't see it again for four years, it recognised us straight away and jumped on us out of sheer excitement, I'm not sure if its your smell they recognise or your voice but they certainly remember you.

• Dogs do have powerful memories but they are different to ours. We work by recollection whereas dogs work by association. That means that although we can recall an image, action, sequence of events etc, dogs don't do this but link a thing, sound, So although a seperated dog won't bring your face to mind, when he meets you again after a few months his memory will associate your scent and voice etc with those feelings of trust and security. He may be a little confused because in the meantime he will have adapted to his surrounds and made new bonds with his carers but those associative memories with you will still be there too.Dogs pine for their lost owners because the person with which they associate their security, leadership and care is gone and they do not know where to look to fill those needs. Over a period of time they will find those needs met from another source and make new bonds with that person.Sensitive creatures!

• dogs will remember the owner if it was well treated by them, if it was mistreated they tend to put those times out of mind. well known fact, and there is more chance that they will remember the family children before the adults x

• If your going away for a while and someone is going to look after your dog it won't forget you,you and your dog have a bond,no don't worry he won't forget you. Now if you said your pet was a cat thats different, cats are very indipendant bye.

• When my wife and I divorced she refused to let me take the dog, but I learnt several years later that she had promptly given the dog away. Imagine my surprise, 5 years after my divorce, I was in another city, a German Shepherd came running up to me, tail wagging, and sat obediently at my side, just the way I had taught her. Yes it was Bo, my girl, still brings a tear to my eye twenty years later. How did she know it was me? god knows but she picked me out of crowd in a different city 5 years after we were last together. So I guess they remember the partnership (owner is to weak a word) all their lives.