How to make my dog stop attacking other dogs?

I have a smaller sized mutt, shes six years old. Shes generally the sweetest dog ever. She grew up with an older dog they got along fine. My dog likes most dogs. Some dogs she goes around (especially small yippee dogs) she tries to attack. She barks and…

I have a smaller sized mutt, shes six years old. Shes generally the sweetest dog ever. She grew up with an older dog they got along fine. My dog likes most dogs. Some dogs she goes around (especially small yippee dogs) she tries to attack. She barks and…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to make my dog stop attacking other dogs?...

• How to make my dog stop attacking other dogs?

How to make my dog stop attacking other dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I have a smaller sized mutt, shes six years old. Shes generally the sweetest dog ever. She grew up with an older dog they got along fine. My dog likes most dogs. Some dogs she goes around (especially small yippee dogs) she tries to attack. She barks and starts trying to bite them. She didn't hurt a dog yet but i cant trust her anymore. She tryed to attack 3 different dogs. How can i make her stop doing this. Please help!

How to make my dog stop attacking other dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • You have to prove that you are the leader of the pack; the boss. The leader of a dog pack is always the one to take action first and defend the rest of those who follow her. If your dog considered you the leader she would look to you and follow your example; the fact that she doesn't, means that she doesn't see you as the leader. The best way that I know how you can learn how to do that is to watch the tv series called "The Dog Whisper". Check out the website and you will learn a lot. He has all the techniques that you need to know, and he makes it all seem so easy. On the home page he even mentions your problem. Someone asked your question and he gave the answer on this page:http://www.cesarsway.com/dogbehavior/basics/Cesars-Live-Chat-on-Facebook#link3I watched his series on tv for many years and learnt a lot.If the series isn't on tv where you are, then check out your local library if they lend out DVDs, they may have some that you could borrow.

• Wow, Jo - this poster didn't deserve that answer you gave. There are different ways you could teach for this, but they take a good deal of time for your dog to learn. Your dog is simply reacting to the situation she sees herself in when she is around small, yappy dogs.There is usually quite a bit of energy around these dogs - and this is how your dog deals with them. She could bite them if she wanted to, right? But she doesn't...because she has impulse control, which is a very good thing! There are several ways to handle this - I will give you two. BUT...if this behavior is happening at a dog park, then all bets are off - because you cannot control ALL the other dogs - you can't stop them from coming up to your dog.Teach your dog to LEAVE IT. I use 'leave it' for a lot of things. If food drops on the floor, if there is a squirrel my dogs want to chase, if they are distracted by something - I use 'leave it'. Pretty much whatever I don't want them to look at, sniff, taste, lol, I use it. You need to teach leave it and reinforce the leave it command several times a day until she starts associating the act with the command. You use food to train leave it - I teach it like this:Put your dog on lead, set a few pieces of kibble on the floor in different spots on the floor, have something very yummy in your hands, it has to be MUCH better than kibble. Walk your dog (on lead) past the kibble on the floor, the second your dog goes for the kibble, tell her LEAVE IT, tug her away from the kibble, tell her GOOD GIRL and pop that yummy treat in her mouth. Do this several times a day, for several minutes each time. You will quickly see her look at the kibble, then glance back at you when say leave it, and she will walk right past it - expecting that yummy treat. You can do this outdoors as well, and you should train for it outdoors so you can 'proof' what you are teaching her. Eventually you can generalize this command and use it for every behavior involving things you don't want your dog to do or things you don't want your dog to have. Remember to say LEAVE IT (in a commanding voice) when you walk her past something she wants.Another thing you could teach is the Look At That game (created by Leslie McDevitt) - I will give you an abbreviated version of the game. Whenever you are out with your dog, give her an alternative to interacting with the other dogs. Whenever you see a dog that might be a problem, get your dog to look at you instead. Put your dog in a sit, have some yummy treats on you and get her to focus on you and the treat instead of the other dog. Really, you should be practicing at home getting your dog to look at you every time you say her name(focus). To teach focus, I usually throw kibble in my pocket when I get up in the morning and at random times during the day, I say my dog's name - when he looks at me, I give him a piece of kibble and tell him - good boy! You are 'conditioning' your dog to look at you every time you say her name. If you practice this every day, you will have no problem putting your dog in a sit and have her focus on you instead of the other dogs. To take it to the next level, every time your dog looks at the other dogs and looks back at you - you treat her and say 'look at that!' Soon, your dog will associate looking at other dogs with good things like treats and praise.