My dog has yeast lesions?

Our little Yorkie is 12 yrs old and she started to get lesions at the back of her ears. We took her to the vet last year and she had all types of tests done. Blood all OK and skin tests including ones from the lesions are normal and contain only natural…

Our little Yorkie is 12 yrs old and she started to get lesions at the back of her ears. We took her to the vet last year and she had all types of tests done. Blood all OK and skin tests including ones from the lesions are normal and contain only natural…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog has yeast lesions?...

• My dog has yeast lesions?

My dog has yeast lesions? General Dog Discussions
      Our little Yorkie is 12 yrs old and she started to get lesions at the back of her ears. We took her to the vet last year and she had all types of tests done. Blood all OK and skin tests including ones from the lesions are normal and contain only natural bacteria that would be found on any dog. However the lesions still return in different places.We wash her in Malaseb once a week and leave it on for 10 Min's then rinse. They still take a few weeks dry up and then leave a dark mark the size of a 20 p coin they then clear away back to normal skin.The Malseb works but seems to be that slow that another lesion will start in a fresh place and if she gets one in the inside of her leg she struggles to walk it is not sore but tickles her just like the nerve ends on the surface of the skin being damaged. She does not even scratch them. Our vet said its a yeast problem and gave her various jags, pills and shampoos but finished up saying just to use the Malaseb all the time even every other day. My friend has a dog that is worse than ours and he now uses a spray and the dog has been put on a special diet.I have a picture of the lesions and can post someway they have now cleared up but she still has some under her back leg and her chin. However the hair does not fall out.

My dog has yeast lesions? General Dog Discussions
    • Blastomycosis is a systematic yeastlike fungal infection caused by the organism Blastomyces dermatitidis, which is commonly found in decaying wood and soil. Blastomycosis occurs most frequently in male dogs, but female dogs are also susceptible. Dogs that are frequently exposed to environments where Blastomyces dermatitidis exists are at increased risk.This is particularly so with large-breed dogs weighing at least 55 lbs (25 kg), and especially sporting breeds. The Blastomyces fungus thrives in wet environments, such as riverbanks, lakes and swamps, where damp soil lacking direct sunlight fosters growth of the fungus. It is also present in areas that are rich in decaying matter, such as wooded areas, forests, and farms. It is a naturally occurring North American fungus, with the highest prevalence of infection taking place in geographic areas located near water Poor dog! From that I found (and pasted above) it's probably caused by her running around in dark, damp places that harbour fungi and things like that - so you could try restricting where she goes when out on walks and sticking to parks or bright, open areas. Or maybe you have a pond in your garden and she's picking up bacteria from rotten wood or leaf mould. If you can't do that, or it keeps happening, I would recommend giving her a thorough rinse with cold water after she's been outside. It'll wash any residue from her skin. I'm a little against constant, regular dosing of dogs with chemically things like shampoo or treatments, since it tends to wash away the furs natural oils and can lead to all kinds of skin problems underneath. But fresh, clean water should keep her skin clear of anything that's causing the lesions and they should heal on their own, given time.

• Did the vet anesthetize your dog and take biopsies (surgical skin samples) for culture and histopathology? Did he scrape the skin with a scalpel blade looking for mange mites? Did he do a thyroid test? These tests are essential in diagnosing problematic skin lesions that will not clear up with standard therapy. Yeast is not a primary lesion, it is always secondary to some other problem, like mange, hypothyroidism, pyoderma, folliculitis, allergies, etc. Have you tried hypoallergeinic diets from the vet where you feed nothing but that diet for 2 months at a time? Have you tried any of the grain free diets available over the counter? I'm sorry, but just looking at the lesions will not help a diagnosis, many many things look the same on the skin. I hope that I have offered a fresh idea here. Sounds like your vet has worked hard to try to help you, but maybe she can try one of these ideas to get to the root of the problem. Good luck to you!

• use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water after you shampoo and rinse your dog next time use this mixture and pour it over the dog.its 1/3cup apple cider vinegar to 2/3 cups water.after pouring it on your dog towel dry.vinegar kills the bacteria that causes yeast infection and its to acidic to use straight.the smell will go away in time and bonus it also keeps fleas away.