What breeds of dogs are good for people with dog allergies?

I am allergic to dogs, but only a little. When I'm older, I want a dog, for many reasons. What breeds in particular would be good for me? Ones that don't shed...

I am allergic to dogs, but only a little. When I'm older, I want a dog, for many reasons. What breeds in particular would be good for me? Ones that don't shed......
    General Dog Discussions : What breeds of dogs are good for people with dog allergies?...

• What breeds of dogs are good for people with dog allergies?

What breeds of dogs are good for people with dog allergies? General Dog Discussions
      I am allergic to dogs, but only a little. When I'm older, I want a dog, for many reasons. What breeds in particular would be good for me? Ones that don't shed...

What breeds of dogs are good for people with dog allergies? General Dog Discussions
    • The first answer which comes to mind is the Mexican hairless - they dont have much hair and so any allergies to fur will be reduced. You can actually buy special dog shampoo which removes the allergens from your dogs coat though. I admit I have never tried it.i would advise having an allergy test to be sure its actually dogs you are allergic to. At least you will know once and for all.

• To minimise the allergic reaction, it would be recommended that you have one of the breeds which have a contnuously growing coat, rahter than one which readily sheds.These breeds include:PoodlesBichon FriseShih-tzuLhasa ApsoSoft Coated wheaten TerrierYorkshire TerrierMalteseYou could also possibl be okay wiht one of the wire-coated terrier breeds.The only catch with these breeds is that becuase they do not shed, they need regular trips to a professional groomer ot have their hair cut/dead hair stripped out. I would advise you to steer clear of the designer dogs (labradoodles, cockapoos etc) as their shedding or non-shedidng cannot be guaranteed like it can iwith a purebred.And I would also suggest you spend some time around whichever dog breed you choose as you may still have some level of allergic reaction, and it would be better to discover this before you buy a puppy.