Dogs eating chocolate...?

My mom put brownies in the gorage to cool down quicker. Well stupid on my moms part our dog got into it and ate about a small handful size of the brownies. they were made with bakers chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. And he is a little over 20 pounds.…

Dogs eating chocolate...?

My mom put brownies in the gorage to cool down quicker. Well stupid on my moms part our dog got into it and ate about a small handful size of the brownies. they were made with bakers chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. And he is a little over 20 pounds.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Dogs eating chocolate...?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It's the caffeine a dog can't take.Force a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide down his gullet, it'll make him throw up.Be careful about onions and potato skins -- also poisonous to dogs..

• No, I don't think he'll die from eating a few brownies... but in the future, you might want to tell your mom to put the brownies somewhere higher, where your dog can't reach it... chocolate isn't good for a dog's health, so it might make your dog sick for a while...

• if it wasn't alot of the choclate then that shouldnt harm him but he might get a stomch ache or diareah dont worry my rabbi tate some coco puffs and then he was only hyper for the rest of the day

• I asked my vet this and got an answer that can help you. He said the only dog that he knows that actually died from chocolate ate a 4lb chocolate basket pre-filled with the stuff. Your dog might have some digestive problems for awhile, but brownies are not pure chocolate. A baking bar would be a trip to the vet.

• He will probably not even be affected. Yes, chocolate is very unhealthy for dogs. However, Brownies are not solid chocolate, and so only one or two brownies should not be harmful. But, I would suggest calling a vet, because they have the resources to calculate how much chocolate is harmful for yoru size dog. Bcause you used semi-sweet chocolate, that contains even less of the dangerous chemical, alkaloids, then bakers chocolate does. # Although not all types of chocolate are equally harmful, they contain the alkaloids theobromine and caffeine, which can be toxic to dogs. A lethal dose for a 20-lb. dog requires 10,000mg of alkaloids.# Baking chocolate has the highest alkaloid content and the highest potential to make your dog seriously ill. One oz. of baking chocolate has a 400mg alkaloid content, 1 oz. of dark chocolate has 150mg, and 1 oz. of milk chocolate has 50mg.Acoording to this, your dog would have to have eaten 25 oz of pure baking chocolate.If you feel that your dog may be in danger, look for signs such as VomitingDiarrheaDiuresis (urinary incontinence)HyperactivityRapid breathing/heartbeatMuscle tremorsSeizuresComaMost likely this will not happen. If you are at all worried, don't take a chance and at least call a 24 hour vet to ask, and if necessary bring your dog in to be checked out. It is better to be too worried than to regret it later, so act on your best instinct, although I have provided you with two good websites to look at. Good Luck!Caffeine is NOT the problem like someone said, it is the alkaloids. Also, Pure hydrogen peroxide would wreak havoc with your dog's throat. Hydrogen peroxide works by killing cells. So if you do this (I don't know if it works) please dilute the peroxide with water, as in the eHow site I suggested.

• I have a 45 pound boxer who ate a whole box of cordial cherries when she was puppy. She is now 9 years old. So likely, your dog will be fine. Chocolate for dogs is like alcohol for us, it builds up in their system over time, and unless they ingest a large quantity regularly, they are usually ok. It's not like your dog eats brownies every day or twice a week. I would avoid letting him get to it in the future-no point taking chances, but he should be fine-maybe a bit gassier than usual.