Question about grade 5-6 heart murmur in Shih Tzu.See details?

I took my 12 year old Shih Tzu to the vet today for his check up and shots. The vet said he has a grade 5-6 heart murmur. She did not elaborate on it. Does this mean his life is almost over?Does anyone know anything about the grades of heart murmurs and…

I took my 12 year old Shih Tzu to the vet today for his check up and shots. The vet said he has a grade 5-6 heart murmur. She did not elaborate on it. Does this mean his life is almost over?Does anyone know anything about the grades of heart murmurs and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Question about grade 5-6 heart murmur in Shih Tzu.See details?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about grade 5-6 heart murmur in Shih Tzu.See details?

Question about grade 5-6 heart murmur in Shih Tzu.See details? General Dog Discussions
      I took my 12 year old Shih Tzu to the vet today for his check up and shots. The vet said he has a grade 5-6 heart murmur. She did not elaborate on it. Does this mean his life is almost over?Does anyone know anything about the grades of heart murmurs and the significance to the health of the dog?Thanks.

Question about grade 5-6 heart murmur in Shih Tzu.See details? General Dog Discussions
    • Grade 0/6 denotes no murmur. Grade 1/6 and 2/6 murmurs are generally considered to be "mild". Dogs with Grade 1/6 and 2/6 murmurs are very unlikely to develop any symptoms as a result of their aortic stenosis and should lead perfectly "normal" lives. Grade 3/6 and 4/6 murmurs are generally considered to be "moderate". The majority of dogs with Grade 3/6 and 4/6 murmurs are also unlikely to develop any symptoms, but a small number will go on to become symptomatic. Grade 5/6 and 6/6 murmurs are generally considered to be "severe". Dogs with Grade 5/6 and 6/6 murmurs are most at risk of developing symptoms -

• 5/6 is a pretty significant murmur. Your vet should have elaborated on it further! Sometimes we have to be an advocate for our pet's health if a vet is not forthcoming with information.There might be some changes in diet and some medications that can help to lessen the stress on his heart. Here's some information on heart murmurs. Read whatever you can find, make a list of questions, and call your vet on Monday. Good luck.http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2488

• That is a very high grade murmur. Did your vet put him on lasix or some other diuretic?A high level murmur such as that usually causes heart failure and eventual death. Because your dog is older, hear tfailure and valve leakage would be more common than in a younger dog. He is nearing the end of his life span. As long as you can keep the symptoms under control with medication, you still have a bit of time. Enjoy it. Just try to make sure he doesn't become too short of breath.

• http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htmHere is alot of info on heart disease.If this is the first your vet has mentioned the murmur,I strongly suggest you go to a cardiologist asap A dog with a grade 5/6 murmur should be on medications,such as an ace inhibitor,a low salt diet,and should not be getting routine vaccines.It is considered advanced heart disease.

• The surgery requires the surgeon to open the chest to access the heart. The most common type of open-heart operation is a coronary artery bypass. The coronary arteries supply the heart of blood. If the arteries become blocked or narrowed due to cardiovascular problems, an individual may be at risk of a heart attack. The operation involves going for a healthy blood vessel from another area of the boding using it to bypass the obstructed blood vessels. Another open-heart procedure involves replacing a faulty aortic valve.