My dog just went into heat and i was wondering what to do?

She's making a mess so do we need to lock her up? Or?Also, we had an appointment to get her fixed this week. Do we need to cancel now that she's in heat and reschedule? How long does this "in heat" thing last?

She's making a mess so do we need to lock her up? Or?Also, we had an appointment to get her fixed this week. Do we need to cancel now that she's in heat and reschedule? How long does this "in heat" thing last?...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog just went into heat and i was wondering what to do?...

• My dog just went into heat and i was wondering what to do?

My dog just went into heat and i was wondering what to do? General Dog Discussions
      She's making a mess so do we need to lock her up? Or?Also, we had an appointment to get her fixed this week. Do we need to cancel now that she's in heat and reschedule? How long does this "in heat" thing last?

My dog just went into heat and i was wondering what to do? General Dog Discussions
    • Dogs are in heat for about 21 days, or 3 weeks.If you scheduled her to be fixed and she is now in heat, you have to reschedule. It can only be done effectively when they are not in heat. And you don't need to lock her up! If you're going to get her fixed after this, then I'd suggest just letting it run it's course. If you really care, you could always get diapers for dogs. A little extreme, yes, but they help. Also, when my dog goes into heat, I just make sure there's always an old towel under her when she lies down or goes to sleep. Other than that, you might as well just deal with it for the next few weeks and then you'll never have to again.

• A female dog will be on heat for approx 21 days, and this will happen every six months. You can purchase a doggy diaper, (which is like a pad) from you vet or local pet store. Keep her away from all intact males, otherwise its more then likely you will end up with puppies.Your vet should still spay her, but you may incur a higher fee. I would ring them and let them know and also find out if their will be an extra charge.

• If you can, keep her in the back yard, away from unaltered males.I think it cost more to fix a dog if she's in heat, if money is an issue i would reschedule.Heat last about 6 weeks, of which 1 or so the dog actually bleeds.They have dippers at the pet store, but more of a pain in the a** if you ask me. I'd just keep her confined to an area where her mess will be tolerable.