Quality large breed puppy food free of chicken, eggs, corn, and grains?

Hi, I have an 11 week old pit bull terrier puppy who started showing allergy symptoms last Monday, the 14th. He has been to the vet and received medical care, however, I now need to find what it is he is allergic to. I am suspecting that it is his diet,…

Hi, I have an 11 week old pit bull terrier puppy who started showing allergy symptoms last Monday, the 14th. He has been to the vet and received medical care, however, I now need to find what it is he is allergic to. I am suspecting that it is his diet,…...
    General Dog Discussions : Quality large breed puppy food free of chicken, eggs, corn, and grains?...

• Quality large breed puppy food free of chicken, eggs, corn, and grains?

Quality large breed puppy food free of chicken, eggs, corn, and grains? General Dog Discussions
      Hi, I have an 11 week old pit bull terrier puppy who started showing allergy symptoms last Monday, the 14th. He has been to the vet and received medical care, however, I now need to find what it is he is allergic to. I am suspecting that it is his diet, and noticing that everything he's consumed thus far has chicken and egg proteins in them. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a quality, large breed puppy food without chicken and egg in them? Everything I've looked at so far either has at least chicken fat or egg protein of some sort. Also, since he's had it in his previous foods, preferably something not containing corn (which wouldn't make the food very quality, anyways) or grains, please!

Quality large breed puppy food free of chicken, eggs, corn, and grains? General Dog Discussions
    • Taste of the Wild makes many different formulas that don't contain chicken, and it is a grain free food. You don't need a *large breed puppy* formula.

• I get Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice. It has no wheat, corn or soy in it. It is good for the skin and coat. It is also reasonably priced for a 4 star rated dog food. I pay $20 for 20 lbs.It is not grain free but I have had no issues with it.

• Wellness has two excellent lines of food that are made specifically for this situation, and they are a solid reputable company. Their CORE line has no grainhttp://www.wellnesspetfood.com/categories.aspx?pet=dog&cat=2 and their SIMPLE SOLUTIONS line is made of limited ingredients for allergy dogs:http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/categories.aspx?pet=dog&cat=3 You are right to want to find a limited ingredient food - make sure to only give your dog the food, and no treats, no rawhides, bully sticks, chew hooves - nothing else,period. You can use a few kibble as a treat, and he won't know the difference - beware that even their BArk Bars have oatmeal in them to keep them together - which I ruefully found an allergy dog to be allergic to...even though the whitefish & sweet potato food was fine. TOP FOOD ALLERGENS: beef - chicken - corn- wheat - soy - dairy - pork - sometimes sweet potatoes... Get your puppy on some fish oil, which is great for him in many ways. Ask your vet for the right amount - it will strengthen his cell walls, and help his natural defenses. It may take a while for is system to calm down, so give it a while to clear out of his system, and always change him over five kibble per day only - no sudden changes. Keep on hand a package of Gas-x, just in case he gets gas from indigestion - and read up on GDV/Bloat so you know if you are in trouble. It's nothing to mess with. Keep in mind he could also have a contact allergy- that's particles like dust, pollen, sometimes cleaning substances. If you use the sprinkle kind of carpet cleaner, he could be allergic to it. A good rinse in tepid water every day can remove the particles, but vacuuming also helps. If you need help, ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. They can guide you through this, and help isolate the problem. It's not as easy as people think, and one little thing can cause a reaction - so ask for help if you don't see a change fairly soon, as your puppy is in a critical phase of learning about the world, and he will soon be irritated at much more than an itch if he doesn't get relief soon.