How can I kindly tell my neighbor she is not caring for her dog properly?

My neighbor works very long hours so I can understand why it might be hard for her to put more effort into raising her dog. However the dog is extremely unsocialized gets walked outside once maybe twice on a lucky day. He spends the rest of the day…

My neighbor works very long hours so I can understand why it might be hard for her to put more effort into raising her dog. However the dog is extremely unsocialized gets walked outside once maybe twice on a lucky day. He spends the rest of the day…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I kindly tell my neighbor she is not caring for her dog properly?...

• How can I kindly tell my neighbor she is not caring for her dog properly?

How can I kindly tell my neighbor she is not caring for her dog properly? General Dog Discussions
      My neighbor works very long hours so I can understand why it might be hard for her to put more effort into raising her dog. However the dog is extremely unsocialized gets walked outside once maybe twice on a lucky day. He spends the rest of the day barking and pacing in the garage. I don't know much about the breed (shepard) but its very thin with defined ribs showing. The animal shelter says they can't do anything because she is feeding her dog, providing it shelter and water. How do I nicely go about telling her that she needs to provide better care for her dog?

How can I kindly tell my neighbor she is not caring for her dog properly? General Dog Discussions
    • can u offer to walk it, or offer your yard as a serogate yard? if not you call the police and report it constantly barkng, which in our town is a nono! enough times of this and she will get a fine, you can do it anonmusly. and that may get her to do something for the poor creature. and dont liston to that JR a -hole below he must have his head up his ***! good his answer is gone!!!!you know what you know and go with your intuition on this!!!!!!!

• TELL HER STR8 UP . SHEPERDS ARE BIG DOGS AND THERE NOT SUPOSE TO B SKINY LIKE THAT THEYRE BUILT DOGS JUST TELL HER B LIKE YOUR DOG BARKS ALOT AND I DONT RLY SEE U WALK HIM MUCH AND ACT STUPID OR JUST DOG SIT HIM/HER

• i dont recommend saying anything to her because it may cause tension between you, and you still have to live next door to eachother. is it possible the dog goes out more often then you think? or do you watch the house all day? if you are going to do anything i would go online and print out some lit. about how to care properly for an animal..maybe highlight the things you think she isnt doing correctly..and leave it in her mail box with a little letter or something saying its from a concered neighbor or friend. if you dont want to do that, maybe you should talk to her (if your on a friendship level) and ask her if you could maybe take the dog for a walk once in a while because you just love dogs and would like company when you excersize, just an option! good luck

• hey 2 year back i had the same issues with my neighbor, i started to take care of the dog and so did a few a my neighbors, i keep reminding my neighbor what everyone was doing and that he needed to do more. i finale talk him into giving the dog away!

• if you have time ask your neighbor if she would like you to watch her dog while she is at work so you could get it outside and socialize it. your neighbor might realize that she isn't giving the dog proper attention and take you up on your offer.good luck!

• the shelter is full of it... call the police on the barking issue. they'll turn it over to animal control and with enough complaints the dog will be removed, so hopefully someone not so neglectful can have a chance to adopt it.good luck!

• There really is no nice way to do it. If the animal shelter is saying they cannot do anything, there is little that you can do either. I suppose you could offer to walk and feed the dog for your neighbor while she is gone, but anything you do without her permission would amount to either tresspassing or interference that she may not take well.

• You don't really tell her that she needs to provide better care for her dog.. Cause you know that that will be met with hostility.. What you do is you tell her about things that you have learned about your own dogs, and make it look like you are learning all this great stuff and just discussing it with her.. Gently educating without forcing it down her throat.. Ask her what she thinks about certain things.. Did she realize this?.. Was she aware of that?.. Can you believe that I heard this?.. How does she feel?? What does she think? I have turned people around .. people who think that dogs should just be fed what is left over from dinner, not going to the vet... dogs are dogs type people around into people who are now very aware and who come back to me enthusiastically telling me of things that they have learned, or heard, or even figured out themselves.. Sometimes we just have to know when to butt out and quit trying to make everyone do what we want them to.. Some people just plain aren't going to listen, don't care what you have to say, aren't interested.. As long as the dog has food and water, shelter from the weather.. and is within the law.. isn't being abused physically... There's not much you can do about it..

• Call the SPCA and ask them to investigate and ask to keep your identity confidential. While this is going on tell your neighbor the came around to investigate. Then you ask questions trying to find out why they came around. Tell the neighbor this is to help them get the SPCA out of their hair. That if they don't do this the SPCA will keep coming back and make trouble for you.

• Don't say anything to her. Get pictures of everything you can most importantly the dog and take them to the animal control office. file a report with the police if necessary. But don't get personal with your neighbor. This is about helping the dog not the neighbor. Also tape the constant barking of the dog. You will need this because they will respond to barking calls faster then a dog too thin behind a door they cant see through. Good luck to you and the poor guy.

• First, what kind of relationship do you and your neighbor have? Do you feel like you could tell her Kindly? Maybe you could start by letting her know that her dog barks through out the day and its disturbing the neighbors. Does she keep the dog out there even when she comes home? Maybe you could explain to her that her dogs behavior if left unattended will eventually lead to aggressiveness?! That her dog needs more exercise and socializing and very possibly food. Maybe you could offer to help her out, if you have the time, and walk the dog for her a couple times a week or something. Its a tough call and it could cause a lot of problems between you and your neighbor, so take the approach slowly. Drop hints ........Good luckEdited after reading above post ..... if you plan on going that route with the animal shelter or you don't have good relationship with neighbor and know nothing at all will be done, then do NOT approach neighbor because then neighbor will know it was you and it could cause many of problems if dog is taken. But I do hope you can make your neighbor see the light!!!!!

• Be kind and talk to her patiently about the dog. Offer a sympathetic ear. Tell her that you like the dog and offer to care for him. If she realizes that a lot of people are noticing the condition of her dog, she may decide to take better care of him.

• why not become an adoptive babysitter to the dog? act as though you are an avid dog lover and the chance to walk, socialize (and feed the dog) would be just a pleasure for you! Maybe in the evenings when your neighbor gets home you can talk to her about how your time with the dog was. You know, drops hints like"today we walked for an hour, three times and he loved it!""we worked on sit tricks" (and show her your progress)help her out by at first taking control and as you make progress with the dog, don't forget to include the owner. this way, you can educate her on how its done by including her in on it once you have made progress.seems like you are a great neighbor and thanks for being so concerned. hopefully something positive will come out of this!

• I have a Shepard myself (see my picture) and she is very well cared for....but built very thin...so don't stress too much over the dogs build. However, no one wants to be locked up all day. Maybe you could offer to walk the dog for them? Maybe tell them you want to get more exercise yourself and you'd like the company of the dog, or you'd feel protected with the dog, etc. ?