How much Glucosamine and Chondroitin should I be giving my dog?

Let me start out by giving a little info on my dog. My dog is a male German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Husky mix (at least that's what the humane society said, tho I think they were just guessing based on how his litter and his mom looked) but I've done a bit…

Let me start out by giving a little info on my dog. My dog is a male German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Husky mix (at least that's what the humane society said, tho I think they were just guessing based on how his litter and his mom looked) but I've done a bit…...
    General Dog Discussions : How much Glucosamine and Chondroitin should I be giving my dog?...

• How much Glucosamine and Chondroitin should I be giving my dog?

How much Glucosamine and Chondroitin should I be giving my dog? General Dog Discussions
      Let me start out by giving a little info on my dog. My dog is a male German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Husky mix (at least that's what the humane society said, tho I think they were just guessing based on how his litter and his mom looked) but I've done a bit of research and do believe this to be accurate; but I got no idea on the %'s of each breed. He's 4 years old and hes a big dog, about 130lb; tho the vet says being under 130 would healthier. So by no means would I say he's fat, but he could stand to loose a few lbs. So because of his breeds and size he's at a pretty high risk of developing Hip Dysplasia, and although he hasn't shown any symptoms like joint pain, trouble standing, or that weird running like a rabbit thing yet. I would still like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I make sure to buy him really good food, that has only animal protein and not a byproduct as the primary protein with no filler's, corn, or grains, and with at least some amount of Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Such as Orijen, Nutro Holistic, but mostly Blue Buffalo Wilderness; and also only chew treats from America. I would like to start giving him a Glucosamine and Chondroitin daily supplement, for just a preventative measure. I would buy the hip support pills from Petco, if not for the fact that selling it as a "dog" supplement triples or quadruples the price. So I thought I could just buy the "peoples" version of it, but I just need to know how much I should give him as a daily dose for just possible preventing/delaying symptoms of Hip Dysplasia and just generally help promote healthy hip and joint function? And am I correct in believing that it isn't a type of supplement you should only take if you need it, as it doesn't really have any negative side-effects right? And also if anyone knows any other supplements, minerals, or vitamins I can get to also promote healthy hip/joint function and post it here? I would greatly appreciate it, thanks

How much Glucosamine and Chondroitin should I be giving my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • 1. Good quality dog food usually contains G and C these days2. Research has tended to suggest that G and C isn't all that it's cracked up to be3. HD and ED are usually hereditary although some environmental (bad reading) can't be ruled out4. If his hips and elbows are incorrect, the only thing you can do, other than surgery of course, if bad enough, is to try to prevent these faults going to arthritis later on and whether taking G and C is going to do this is debatable. For sure, keeping excess weight off is going to help no end.I think, before you supplement, you should perhaps find out whether he has any degree of HD or ED first. Which means a trip to the vet for an assessment first. I'd suggest.

• I'm sure being under 130 would be fat better for his joints than any amount of Glucosamine.Glucosamine won't protect joints being damaged from a dog that is overweight, so get that weight off before more than the joints become damaged.I use Glucosamine/Chondroitin,MSM from http://www.kvpet.com. It costs $22.85 for 180 chewable tablets and my dogs love the taste.That's the cheapest price for that amount that I've seen anywhere and my vet uses it too.

• Giving a dog glucosamine will not prevent joint problems but at 4 years old any inherited hip problems would have been apparent by now. But an overweight dog is more at risk of damaging its joints and getting arthritis just through carrying excess weight and the best way to avoid this is to keep your dog fit and lean and give him regular exercise and a good quality dry complete food.No harm can be done by giving a dog glucosamine (400grams daily) but recent research has shown that glucosamine supplements are not as effective as once thought. So my vet tells me.You should be able to feel your dogs ribs but not actually see them and he should have a defined waistline when viewed from above.Add> If you are worried about your dogs hips , then have him hip scored to see if his hips are good or not so good. and also maybe get his elbows scored as well. This can put your mind at rest at least.