What is the best type of dog around children?

Our family is thinking of getting a dog. Which one has the best to have around young children? Only small dog suggestions please as we are not looking for a big dog!

What is the best type of dog around children?

Our family is thinking of getting a dog. Which one has the best to have around young children? Only small dog suggestions please as we are not looking for a big dog!...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best type of dog around children?...

• Definetly NOT A DOLMATION!!I have a labradoodle (half lab and half poodle). they are REALLY cute!!(especially the black ones!). Also they dont shed cause they have hair! They are really good natured cause they are not all one bread! So they are really good with kids. they love to swim and play. My dog always is trying to play, and also he is really loving and NEVER has bitten anyone! not even the mail man!!But if someone unusual is around our house or in it, he will bark, and fight him. I hope this is of help to you!!!!!!!!! GET A LABRADOODLE!!

• There's a book called "The Right Dog for You" it gives you the descriptions of most dog breeds in areas of character, activity level, and much more. It really helped my parents pick out a great dog that fit their lifestyle. It was a medium dog, English Setter, very calm indoors, good with kids, gentle but fun outdoors. Amazon.com has the book available and you can preview some of the pages to see if you like it. Good luck!P.S. Always try to go directly to a breeder. Petstore puppies can be from what's called puppy mills, which is when people are breeding dogs just for the money and don't care about quality animals, therefore inner breeding and many other unethical/ unhealthy practices occur resulting in animals with many health and behavioral problems.

• okay i really don't wanna sound like im preaching to the choir but adopting a pet from the pound is a really good idea because the dog will most liely be full grown and already be housetrained. not to mention that you will be able to see how the children react with the dog and how the dog reacts with the children. If you really do not want to adopt than i would NOT suggest a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, i know from personal experience that if trained right that they can be tha sweetest dogs in the world but they are more commonly know as the Pit Bull. I personally have a black labrador retriever that weighs about 65lbs and is absolutely the sweetest, gentlest dog on the planet. And had we introduced her to more children and other people more when she was younger she would be the PERFECT dog. Cocker Spaniels are also extremely sweet and lovable, when i was younger i had one and he would lick my face when i was crying until i stopped and would almost always wanna play or goof around with me and my sister. Another great dog would be the King Charles Spaniel as stated in previous posts. they are very closely related to the Cocker Spaniel. Finally, I would suggest against getting a poodle(yappy and nippy), chihuahua(nappy, yippy and very protective of "mother" or attactment issues), Pitbull or rottweiler(both are fierce and can be dangerous if not trained right, can both also be too energetic for most families) until you know that you can get proper training and have enough room for them.

• A medium sized dog that's absolutely excellent around children is a golden retriever.We have one,and she's great-whenever there are little kids around,if you step on her,pull her tail,touch her face,tug her ears-she doesn't even bat an eyelash.Pugs are great too,though sometimes a little overzealous.Beagles are nice,and pembroke welsh corgis...Check out www.akc.org for breed descriptions etc,figure out what breed you like best!