Will raw chicken hurt a dog?

My dog just stole a raw chicken breast.. Does if effect dogs as it does humans?

My dog just stole a raw chicken breast.. Does if effect dogs as it does humans?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will raw chicken hurt a dog?...

• Will raw chicken hurt a dog?

Will raw chicken hurt a dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog just stole a raw chicken breast.. Does if effect dogs as it does humans?

Will raw chicken hurt a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • No, raw chicken is the basis of the raw food diet that many dogs are on. I used it for awhile for my dogs but it is very messy if your dogs won't eat outside. They ate raw chicken all the time.

• HiWell.. it is prob ok but not a good thing.Both Dogs and Cats can and do get salmonella. Worse when they do get it they tend to carry it for months after wards and can spread it to Humnas through saliva ( licking), and feces. I can see this was a mistake and you dont normally feed your dog raw chicken.... As long as it had no salmonella or other nasties he should be ok...If worried or if it disagrees with him...call teh Vet and ask if you should give a dose of Pepto bismolMake sure you get dosing info from the VET as it varies from breed to breed not just on weight and too much can be very harmful to a dog.Good LuckWismom

• No, but raw chicken can carry the salmonella bacteria which dogs and humans can aquire. The symptoms are the same: uncontrolled diarrhea which can be bloody and which can lead to severe dehydration and even death. In dogs it may also cause uncontrolled vomiting. An occassional piece of raw meat will not harm your dog but be aware of the dangers also. Where chicken is concerned the other danger, other than salmonella, is the bones. Birds bones being hollow splinter when broken and produce long sharp pointed shards which pose a choking threat to your animal. Even pork chop bones can present a choking threat due to the sharp point on the loin bones. So please, check with your vet and get all the info from him and listen and follow his advise. After all that is why you are paying him.

• Friendly Hello, Raw chicken will not hurt your dog. Many people feed whole entire raw chickens to their dogs as a regular diet. BARF diet etc.. Blessings, Kelly

• YOUR dog will be fine...... I feed mine the raw diet, but i wash and prepare their food just as i would for my family, but an occasional bite of chicken unwashed is not going to effect your dog with salmonella poisoning.Mine eat whole washed chicken and occasionally have got ahold of pieces that had not been washed yet. Your dog will be okay.