What kind of dog collar works best for you?

What dog collar do you use, that works great for your dog? I know there are many kinds of collars, but i am wondering which one works for you? Also, about the choke chain, can you leave this collar on all the time, or should you take it off when the dog…

What dog collar do you use, that works great for your dog? I know there are many kinds of collars, but i am wondering which one works for you? Also, about the choke chain, can you leave this collar on all the time, or should you take it off when the dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : What kind of dog collar works best for you?...

• What kind of dog collar works best for you?

What kind of dog collar works best for you? General Dog Discussions
      What dog collar do you use, that works great for your dog? I know there are many kinds of collars, but i am wondering which one works for you? Also, about the choke chain, can you leave this collar on all the time, or should you take it off when the dog is outside? I just purchased one, and i am not too familiar with it.

What kind of dog collar works best for you? General Dog Discussions
    • Choke chains should never be left on the dog while it is unsupervised and/or not connected to a leash. The end of chains have caught on things before and strangled dogs.Anyway, my dog has a Martingale collar on all the time, but she wears a harness when we go on walks due to her collapsing trachea.

• Always take the choke chain off when you are not training or walking it, to prevent accidental strangulation.We use a White Pines slip collar to preserve our dogs' neck fur. Before they were invented we used rolled leather buckle collars. But inside the house the dogs go naked.

• I use a plastic connector regular old collar. The only purpose is to hang the tag from.For leash work I use a step in harness.Chokers are for training only and there should be no choking going on. You also have to put them on the right direction. Refrain from using it until you learn how to use it. (And don't use it if the dog doesn't need it.)

• I don't like those choke chains. I always use the collars that you can snap together like the seat belts on the shopping carts at the grocery store. They are the easiest to loosen, take off, and put on. They come in lots of colors and designs too. Plus my dogs don't itch at them, like other collars.

• You don't have to necessarily take off the choke chain, just take it off one a while, you could take it off when their in the house, but put it on when your dog goes out.& personally I like the regular collar, I think they are more conformable for the dog.

• Depends on which dog I'm working with. I use a martingale mostly, as it can deliver a mild but effective correction for dogs trained to respond to collar corrections. I would never leave a slip collar (what you call choke) on a dog while unattended. It's a training tool, not a collar to live in. Don't use it unless you learn how, which is most definitely to NOT choke - a snap and release is used, not a pull, and most pet owners aren't properly trained with it. I know of dogs that have suffocated from these collars when left alone.I use them, but I know how to. And only when needed. I also used prongs, hate the halt, but again, a martingale is the most adaptable collar for my needs.

• I use a regular nylon/cloth type of collar on my dog now. But I use to use choker collars on my old dogs. But I never used it as a "choker," I only used them because they were easy and comfortable to take on and off. But they were well trained and didn't require needing a collar on at all times. That's why I chose that for them. In their case, Yes, I took them off indoors. But, again, that's because they were already well trained in didn't require the collars on all the time.A choker type collar requires 'know how' of how to use them properly, if you were using that type of collar for training. But if you need help in controlling your dog then I would not recommend that type of collar. I would recommend something like a Gentle Leader, muzzle type of collar.

• My puppy is about 50lbs and likes to pull on his collar/leash when we go for walks. I was scared he would end up choking himself, so now I use a no pull harness when we go for walks. It's helped keep him from attempting to pull me everywhere and it helps keep him from hurting his neck. You can get one from Walmart or many of the pet stores carry them. If you are using a choke chain it should only be worn when you're walking the dog because it's very easily caught on things. Also try to keep it up on the top of the neck right behind the ears, since that is the "weakest" point on the dog. It helps you keep better control over him/her without hurting him/her since having it around the base of the neck/throat can cause breathing/throat problems if your dog likes to pull.Hope this helps.

• Prong. Its easy, safe to use and doesn't bother the dog at all. I have used a head collar, which would ride up my dog's face and rub her eyes even though it was fitted and used correctly. I have also tried an easywalk harness, but it irritate the area under her legs. I have also used a nylon slip collar. I really prefer prongs over all of these. However, none of these "training tools" replace REAL training. Right now, my oldest dog walks on a regular buckle collar, my 2 year old walks on a prong and my puppy walks on a regular buckle collar because unlike my older dogs, we got her at a young age and were able to train her how to walk on a loose lead early without the use of any training tools.