Question about dog nutrition?

My <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/">bulldog</a> is current on raw duck diet. He eats the bones meat n livers. After trying tons so many commercial dog food like blue.orijen.royal cannie ......... all giving him bad tear stains n diarrhea skin infection... And I gotta hand fed him to get him…

My <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/">bulldog</a> is current on raw duck diet. He eats the bones meat n livers. After trying tons so many commercial dog food like blue.orijen.royal cannie ......... all giving him bad tear stains n diarrhea skin infection... And I gotta hand fed him to get him…...
    General Dog Discussions : Question about dog nutrition?...

• Question about dog nutrition?

Question about dog nutrition? General Dog Discussions
      My bulldog is current on raw duck diet. He eats the bones meat n livers. After trying tons so many commercial dog food like blue.orijen.royal cannie ......... all giving him bad tear stains n diarrhea skin infection... And I gotta hand fed him to get him eating thoes kibbles. Anyway back to the topic....is there other supplements he should be taking? Since all he gets was duck. I will ask the vet later. But would like to see some advice first.

Question about dog nutrition? General Dog Discussions
    • duck is a bit fatty.. but if he is eating it and not getting sick, then keep it up. you can add steamed finely chopped or minced ( I grind them in a blender) veggies. 2-3 table spoons per meal. I would vary his diet with chicken, beef, lamb, or other sorts of meats. as he tolerates them. avoid grains, or limit them to no more then a tablespoon once a week. My dog loves a oatmeal cookie made from steal cut oatmeal, beef broth,whole grain flour and chopped carrots... but one a week is about all she gets

• The dog really is not on a balanced diet. Organ meat (aka liver, heart etc.) should only be a very small PORTION of the meat fed, not the main source. Over-feeding liver can cause diarrhea (which you already seem to have had a problem with). Liver & organ meats can be somewhat inflammatory, esp since the LIVER is a FILTER for all the toxins etc. in the original host's body. In addition, in a real prey model diet, it would only be a tiny part of the entire carcass. If you feel that duck is the only safe protein, stay on that, for the time being. BUT... according to a recent "Whole Dog Journal" article on the benefits of feeding a raw diet, in 95% of the cases of protein allergies, dogs were NOT allergic to the same meat, if it was fed raw, vs cooked. Cooking chemically changes meat, as well as reducing the nutrition available from it.Most dogs need to eat a variety of veggies (too) for fiber, & various vitamins/minerals not JUST meat & bones. Many green leafy veggies are very high in cancer fighting antioxidants & raw diets suggest you switch around both the protein source AND veggie slop mix (often) to make sure you get a wide variety of nutrients, and avoid the dog becoming allergic, by not varying the diet. Wild or feral canines/lupines eat a WIDE array of foods, per month. You also have absolutely NO fish or fish oil, to provide the important fatty acids (Omega 3 & 6). Almost all commercial dog foods now provide some version of fish or fish oil because it has been found to be very important to their well-being (both for coat & to help soothe inflammation/allergies).

• At least a dose of Solid Gold Seameal daily. It's not cheap but a good source of vitamins and minerals, and just a teaspoon a day it goes pretty far per jar.