How do I get my dog to do the bark/talk trick?

My dog knows the shake a paw, treat on nose sitting still then jumps and catches it + all the regular ones (sit,stay....)I want to teach him more tricks.

My dog knows the shake a paw, treat on nose sitting still then jumps and catches it + all the regular ones (sit,stay....)I want to teach him more tricks....
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog to do the bark/talk trick?...

• How do I get my dog to do the bark/talk trick?

How do I get my dog to do the bark/talk trick? General Dog Discussions
      My dog knows the shake a paw, treat on nose sitting still then jumps and catches it + all the regular ones (sit,stay....)I want to teach him more tricks.

How do I get my dog to do the bark/talk trick? General Dog Discussions
    • I trained my dog to do this one. It might not work for you, but it's worth a try. I took a treat, and stood about 3 feet in front of my dog. I told him to sit, and then held the treat away from him. I repeatedly told him to speak/bark, and he became frustrated because he didn't know the command. In doing this, he barked because he wanted me to give him the treat. I praised him, and gave it to him after he barked. I did this a few times a day, and now he knows the command. You just have to make sure he realizes that he still has to sit when you say sit. Make a good distinction between the two commands. I hope it works for you!

• For me, this was the hardest trick to teach my dogs. One of my dogs, Molly the basset hound, just did not seem to understand the command and when I would tell her to speak, she would offer her paw, roll over, jump up... pretty much do every other trick she knew to get the treat, except bark! So I had to get a bit creative. I know that Molly loves to bark at my German shepherd when we throw the ball for her. So whenever I would play with the shepherd, I would keep extra treats in my pocket. When Molly started barking at the other dog, I would immediatly turn my attention to her and exclaim, "Good speak! Good dog!" I would repeat the command immediatly after she would bark and give her a treat. Eventually, she began to tie "speak" with barking, and that with getting a treat. If you know a specific time when your dog likes to bark (like when someone walks by, when the phone rings, at birds outside, etc), try to be ready to praise him as if you told him to bark. Good luck!

• Our dog barks/howls/talks, but we do it to him first. He can say I love you. We make sounds and he repeats them. If we bark a noise 2 times he does it 2 times and so on. Its really cool. My brother n law just says our dogs name (Mufassa) to his dog (Mojo) and Mojo goes crazy. Its hilarious. Good luck!