Why is my dog drinking two gallons a day?

My large-breed dog is 12 years old and has been drinking close to two gallons of water a day for the past month. Temperature change is not an issue. Other than being normally stiff and sore for an old gal, she seems fine. Is this huge water-intake…

My large-breed dog is 12 years old and has been drinking close to two gallons of water a day for the past month. Temperature change is not an issue. Other than being normally stiff and sore for an old gal, she seems fine. Is this huge water-intake…...
    General Dog Discussions : Why is my dog drinking two gallons a day?...

• Why is my dog drinking two gallons a day?

Why is my dog drinking two gallons a day? General Dog Discussions
      My large-breed dog is 12 years old and has been drinking close to two gallons of water a day for the past month. Temperature change is not an issue. Other than being normally stiff and sore for an old gal, she seems fine. Is this huge water-intake normal for large breeds?

Why is my dog drinking two gallons a day? General Dog Discussions
    • You may want to check her temperature. Dogs suffering from an infection can often drink more water than normal. You didn't comment on whether she had been spayed. My vet warned me that one of the signs of pyometria is excessive thirst. At her age, you may want to have her checked by a vet to ensure that there is no medical reason for her drinking this much water.

• If this is a change from what's normal for her then it likely indicates that something is going on. Large breed dogs typically drink large amounts of water for obvious reasons but if your dog was drinking only about a gallon before and has suddenly increased to two gallons a day then you'll need to get her checked at the vet, especially considering her age.It could be blood sugar related, could be related to her kidney function, could be cardiovasucular related, could be blood pressure related, could be a whole host of things. Definately need to get her checked out.

• This is most often associated with diabetes in dogs, it is called polydipsia and most commonly associated with kidney issues, diabetes insipidus and diabetes mellitus.

• Excessive water drinking can be a sign of an infection, diabetes, Cushing's disease or kidney failure to name a few. All more common in older dogs. Time to take the old gal into her Vet for a senior exam.