People with experience feeding dogs and/or cats BARF or raw food diets?

Could you please tell me exactly what you feed then, how they cope with it, what your opinions are and how much it costs you? I'm currently giving my two dogs kibble in the morning and meat at night as I'm scared to change straight away and also a bit…

Could you please tell me exactly what you feed then, how they cope with it, what your opinions are and how much it costs you? I'm currently giving my two dogs kibble in the morning and meat at night as I'm scared to change straight away and also a bit…...
    General Dog Discussions : People with experience feeding dogs and/or cats BARF or raw food diets?...

• People with experience feeding dogs and/or cats BARF or raw food diets?

People with experience feeding dogs and/or cats BARF or raw food diets? General Dog Discussions
      Could you please tell me exactly what you feed then, how they cope with it, what your opinions are and how much it costs you? I'm currently giving my two dogs kibble in the morning and meat at night as I'm scared to change straight away and also a bit scared to fully change to meat in case I don't give them all the right stuff (but I give them different stuff like chicken and turkey necks, whole chickens, lamb bones, beef ribs, brisket bones, pork boats, sheep organs, etc)I have a 6 year old Border Collie and a 2.5 month old Huntaway x Border Collie

People with experience feeding dogs and/or cats BARF or raw food diets? General Dog Discussions
    • There are very good BARF and raw feeding groups on YahooGroups, just go over and search on the words and join up with one or more.For the diet--either use a commercially prepared and frozen one, or use one that's discussed on a VET site (not someone's home page) to get the complete nutrients for a fully balanced diet. The cost usually is a little higher than feeding a good quality commercial diet--depending on the size of the dog. A mastiff will cost you a lot more, whereas a beagle would be the same cost as commercial food.We feed both dry and canned cat food, but also raw ground turkey (flash frozen, 1 lb tubes, $1.99 each) in 1/4 cup amounts every day to our two cats who like raw. The other two won't eat it. I keep it froze, slice off 2" sections (hack saw) and microwave it in 15 second bursts with some water in a bowl, mashing it between bursts till it's not cold--till it reaches just 'warm' without being cooked. The cats love it. We don't use bones for the cats, as ours have teeth issues (one is 16 and had stomatitis, the other is 20 and can't be put under anesthetic to have his teeth checked/removed). A younger cat would not have trouble with chicken necks or chicken leg bones. Be cautious with bones for the dogs, most bolt their food and can choke on the whole bone or pieces of bone caught in their throat.