I want a ferret but what's some must know tips please?

I was reading a book when I read about this ferret. I was like ok whatever then I thought about it. Next thing I know I so badly want one! But my mum wants me to find out more about them before I buy one! If you helped thanx a lot!

I was reading a book when I read about this ferret. I was like ok whatever then I thought about it. Next thing I know I so badly want one! But my mum wants me to find out more about them before I buy one! If you helped thanx a lot!...
    General Dog Discussions : I want a ferret but what's some must know tips please?...

• I want a ferret but what's some must know tips please?

I want a ferret but what's some must know tips please? General Dog Discussions
      I was reading a book when I read about this ferret. I was like ok whatever then I thought about it. Next thing I know I so badly want one! But my mum wants me to find out more about them before I buy one! If you helped thanx a lot!

I want a ferret but what's some must know tips please? General Dog Discussions
    • Don't get one! Mine bit the Crap out of me! Then ran off into the house somewhere...We found it a week later eating my Spongebob Shaped Macoroni D:! So my dad took to the woods and shot it...Ha just joking he didn't shoot it he just let it go.

• I don't suggest getting one until you know what you're in for. Ferret are expensive to keep and require a lot of work. Here's what I wrote to another person with a similar question: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkbJNyybbO3Z4RURoKbO7cieDH1G;_ylv=3?qid=20120609153902AAa1jBIThey live for a long time so will you devote the next 10 years to a ferret? When you leave for college, get a job, move out, go on vacation? A lot of places won't allow them. Know that they're expensive and really need you to play and take care of them. This means cleaning litter every day, taking them for walks, litter training them, cleaning their messes when they "forget" their litter training. Make sure your parents understand the financial cost of keeping a healthy ferret because if your ferret gets sick and no one pays the vet, it's done. Check out Ferrets for Dummies. It's probably the best book on the market for ferret owners and I still use it time to time. Read every page before deciding whether or not you will devote yourself to a ferret. After all, you can't go on a week long summer vacation if no one will properly petsit for you.

• You can read until the cows come home but at the end of the day every ferret is completely different so some of the advice on here may be relevant to you, but it may not. On saying that there are some standard things you and must do such as:Feed them regularlyGive them plenty of exercise"ferret proof" to some degreeIn addition, ANY change in behaviour means a trip to the vet. You should also check that the nearest vet has experience in dealing with ferrets, or at least has a contact who does as they are prone to illness and you want a vet who can give the best and relevant treatment. If you have a female, make sure's she's neutered or when she comes into season she'll need a Jill Jab or she can die. To go back to my first 3 points, Food - remember they are carnivores (meat eaters) but you'll find ferret specific "kibble" in pet shops. Mine like the stuff from Pets at Home and I spend less than £10 a month on food for all 3 of them. I also give them a little meat from what I'm having for dinner as a treat for them and usually give them it raw (after all they don't have cookers in the wild) and for some reason, mine go crazy for fish (I do cook that and pork in case they get worms) Give them constant access to water either via water bottle or a bowl. I have the bottle in their cage and bowl outside of it for them. Exercise = playtime, and a lot of it. If you are just getting 1 ferret, you will need to give it constant companionship when it's awake. Luckily they sleep a lot of the time, but you'll need to play at least a couple of hours in the morning and a good 2-4 hours at night. If you get more than 1 ferret then you can let them play with each other, but they still need human playtime too, especially if you don't want them to bite. Make sure they have had their jabs if you are taking them outside as you don't want them picking up diseases (canine distemper from dogs and rabies if it's in your country)Ferret proofing - I've heard of ferrets eating remote control buttons, chewing through wires, eating polystyrene and being seriously injured as a result. Thankfully for me I've not experienced this as with the best will in the world, I found it difficulty "de-wiring" the place and short of building shelves as high as the roof am struggling to hide most things from them (they get EVERYWHERE) and they haven't been too much of an issue. Partly because I PLAY with them when they are out so they don't get bored to start eating random things. One last tip - as vets bills are pricey, don't waste money on expensive toys. Get a box, fill it with crumpled paper, pasta or something noisy and seal it apart from an entry/exit point. Also mine LOVE jumping in carrier bags. I also made them a maze out of boxes for them to run through. Basically, anything tunnel like and anything which makes noises when they jump in it and they'll be happy. I spent a fortune on toys just to find them playing in the boxes and bags I brought the toys home in. Good luck with your ferret(s) if you decide to get them. Remember, the more you play, the less they will bite (play nips are to be expected, they are not sore, it's your ferrets way of saying (s)he's having fun)

• Ferrets can only have baths once every two months or they will smell HORABLE they bite when there litle its how they play but usaly bite to hard so when they do bite say no (firmly) then scruff him and drag him across the flor and hiss this is what the mom would do! DO NOT filck his noes then hell be scared of u and bite u harder cuzz hes scared of u also wash there blankents once a weak and they need shots for rabies and distemper once a year if u get him from a pet store he will have his shots done for the first year make sure when u get the shots there done in 2 weaks appert or hell get a rection and die also they need to be able to play 2-4 a day