Which is better Purina, Pedigree or Iams?

Which adult dog food do you prefer? Purina, Pedigree, Iams or another brand?I live in a rural area, where walmart is about my only option on buying dog food. The vet's office is over an hour away.

Which adult dog food do you prefer? Purina, Pedigree, Iams or another brand?I live in a rural area, where walmart is about my only option on buying dog food. The vet's office is over an hour away....
    General Dog Discussions : Which is better Purina, Pedigree or Iams?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which is better Purina, Pedigree or Iams?

Which is better Purina, Pedigree or Iams? General Dog Discussions
      Which adult dog food do you prefer? Purina, Pedigree, Iams or another brand?I live in a rural area, where walmart is about my only option on buying dog food. The vet's office is over an hour away.

Which is better Purina, Pedigree or Iams? General Dog Discussions
    • I did considerable research about dog food when I first got my dog. I chose Blue Buffalo: it's very high quality, is reasonably priced, and saves me money in the long run because I don't have to run to the vet all the time..

• None of those! I use Natures Menu and Prize Choice. Much more "natural" with superior meat content, which is what you should be looking for. Please don't just choose the cheapest one, or the one with the cutest dog on the tin. Read ingredients. Content is much more important than packaging. Prize Choice is one of the best, but just comes in see through plastic. But Who cares when it's so much better for the dog than the expensive looking Iams

• i would suggest Pedigree because it just focuses on dog food, so therefore it would have more concentration on it; rather than Purina or Lams because they all for more than just one animal.:DHope this helps:)P.S is use Pedigree for my dog and he seems to love it:)

• None of the ones you listed. I would not feed any of those poor quality foods to my dog. Frankly, I would not feed them to a stray. If you want me to get brand specific then, Merrick, Wellness, Innova, Evo, Blue and Orijen are some of the best brands out there. To find a premium quality dog food, read the ingredients list.Do not pay attention to advertising, they all claim to be great. Manufacturers of the poor quality foods are not going to say,"We use total garbage in our food but buy it anyway." Also a point to remember is when a pet food advertises "vet approved"the company has a vet, on staff, paid to recommend the food. Not such a good recommendation after all. Just like with humans, better nutrition means better health. The better quality your pets food is the better off your pet is. As a bonus if you use a good quality food that is not made with fillers your pet will have a smaller, firmer stool. The very first ingredient in a good quality food will be a specificmeat. It will read: "Chicken", "Turkey" or "Beef" Not chicken meal, turkey meal or beef meal. A type of meat, or fish, will be the firstingredient. No exceptions. If it simply says "Meat" stay clear, don't buy it. Meat is not specific.This is a list of some of the things you should try to avoid.1 - Corn, in any form (corn, corn meal, corn gluten...etc) should be avoided. As soon as you see corn in the ingredients list you know it is not a good food for your pet. Corn is simply a filler, no nutritional value for your pet. Dogs and cats do not digest corn, it just passes right through them so your pet gets a larger, stinker stool. Some dogs are also allergic to corn, it will cause itching and skin problems. 2 - Wheat, only because it is common for dogs to be allergic to it. If your dog does not have a wheat allergy, wheat is fine. 3 - By Products. That is what is left over after everything "good"is removed during processing. It not only contains cow hooves and horns, fur and feathers and feces it can contain sawdust and dirtfrom the floor. By products can also contain diseased tissue, cancerous tissue. It is anything from the animal not fit for human consumption. This stuff can sit around for days, un-refridgerated, waiting for pick up. Frankly, I would not feed pet food containing by-products to a stray, let alone my own beloved pets. 4 - "General", non-specific ingredients, like animal digest and meat meal should be avoided. You have no way of knowing what theyare and we probably don't want to know. Look for specificingredients like chicken fat or lamb meal. That tells you what it is.5 - Preservatives such as propylene glycol, BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin are all cancer causing. Look instead for Mixed tocopherois, a natural preservative. 6 - Soy, in any form is another filler and also another ingredient dogscan have severe allergies too. 7 - Brewer's yeast. Again, causes problems. Watch out for skin and earinfections if the food contains this product.8 - Flax is another ingredient some dogs have a problem with, usually as a stool softener. Again, read the ingredients lists. Yes a premium quality food will cost more than the poor quality ones. Common sense, Meat costs more than corn. On the other hand, a healthy dog needs less trips to the vetthan one suffering allergies and infections caused by the food being fed. So find a premium quality dog food and have a healthier dog!

• Of the three Purina ProPlan is best. I've fed it for years and it's used by a lot of dog pros in training kennels. The dogs hold their weight well even during the periods of daily heavy hunting. I don't feed the shredded junk. I feed the sensitive skin and stomach.

• For my own hounds - none of them. So 'another brand'. But not all dog food suits all dogs, so if you find one that does, stick with it, regardless of price although you usually get what you pay for. Against that I would say Royal Canin isn't worth the money!! Everybody has their own ideas about what's a good food, and what isn't, as you'll find out from answers here.ps. You don't need a store, or a vet to buy a good dog food - you have a computer so buy online which you may well find is cheaper and delivered to your door!!

• I don't like any of the ones you mentioned, but if I HAD to choose between those, I would go with Purina Pro Plan. I currently feed Taste of the Wild which is a grain free food, but I also like Merrick with limited grains. I feed Taste of the Wild because I DO have a dog that doesn't tolerate grains. (explosive diarrhea)

• if i had to choose between the lesser evil out of all 3, probably pedigree but my sight's remain on something better. do you have a costco card? you can get a generic form of taste of the wild (river stream formula) for around 35$ for a 35 pound bag. it is better then the low quality food.

• Iams is certainly the best food there. They have something like 50% more meat protein than either of the other brands. Dog's are best fed as carnivore's and so every dog food should lead with meat. Depending on what your dog likes, you can change up the specific meat offering but Iams uses more meat in their food (hence why it costs more). Don't believe all the hype about the really high-end stuff. Past Iams/Purina ONE, the foods are priced because of the packaging, not the ingredients. There was a study I saw once that compared some of those brands to the "mass" brands and it showed that they produced the same nutritional competency as Iams/Purina ONE. Great food, great ingredients and the company has an awesome reputation so I think you'll find you like it. Besides, they give a 100% guarantee so how much do you have to lose? Happy feeding!