What types of healthy dog food are soft and chewy?

I have an 8 year old Dashund and she is having issues with her teeth now, we are thinking of switching her over to a more soft dog food, something around the texture of chewy dog treats. I dontwant to feed her wet food simply because of it being to much…

I have an 8 year old Dashund and she is having issues with her teeth now, we are thinking of switching her over to a more soft dog food, something around the texture of chewy dog treats. I dontwant to feed her wet food simply because of it being to much…...
    General Dog Discussions : What types of healthy dog food are soft and chewy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What types of healthy dog food are soft and chewy?

What types of healthy dog food are soft and chewy? General Dog Discussions
      I have an 8 year old Dashund and she is having issues with her teeth now, we are thinking of switching her over to a more soft dog food, something around the texture of chewy dog treats. I dontwant to feed her wet food simply because of it being to much on her stomach and not digesting well. does anyone have any vet recommended brands that would be of good use? we are trying not to order offline because it would be a hassle, so anything that could be found in a pet store would do fine.

What types of healthy dog food are soft and chewy? General Dog Discussions
    • Before switching her food, have her teeth checked if you haven't. As dogs age, their teeth and gums can deteriorate. She could even have some abscesses in there and a good dental could make all the difference.However, Honest Kitchen does make a dried type of dog food that you reconstitute with water. The more water you add the softer it becomes, less water - it's firmer. It is also of excellent quality.But have the vet check her out first to be sure everything else is okay, especially the teeth.

• To my knowledge, there isn't a soft nibble. There is Royal Canin's Baby Dog formula, but I wouldn't suggest it. Wet dog food is actually easier to digest than kibble, due to the moisture and texture/softness of the food, where with kibble, the dogs stomach has to break down the food. If you don't want that, you can just add some water to the kibble to soften it up, and its easier to digest. Most vets will recommend nothing but garbage. Science Diet, Button-Cal, and whatever that vets office carries. Button-Cal is beneficial for some dogs, but not in this case. Stick with a good brand, maybe on the lighter side. The Natural Balance line is really great. Other foods I'd recommend are the Orijen and Acana seniors line.Just to add, stay away from generic store brand foods, like Jams, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Kibbles n bits, and all of those. They are TERRIBLE for your dog and have no nutritional value whatsoever. If you need some food ideas, check out what I listed above, Innovate, EVO, Nutrience, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Merrick, Mother Hubbard, GO!, Before Grain, Holistic Select, Natures Variety, Performatrin, Solid Gold, and Three Dog Bakery..just to name a few, in seniors formula. I'd also avoid the brand "Nutro".

• IAMS isn't a good choice of dog food, it is full of fillers and by products but try her on bakers my dog has bakers and he has teeth problems it is also very nutritious and healthy.Hope I helped :)

• Why not just make your own dog food? It's actually better for your pooch and can be very, very cheap to make in bulk. I tried it, yeah, and it's ok for older dogs but your dogs will LOVE it and it's impossible to get them to eat normal dog food ever again haha. http://ukritic.com/Dog-Food-Secrets-Review