What all do I have to do to make my dog a therapy dog?

I'm not even sure if that's what you'd call it..I want her to be one of those dogs who go to the hospitals or nursing home to see people. She is a four year old chihuahua, and she is one of the friendliest dogs I have ever seen. She doesn't bark, or…

I'm not even sure if that's what you'd call it..I want her to be one of those dogs who go to the hospitals or nursing home to see people. She is a four year old chihuahua, and she is one of the friendliest dogs I have ever seen. She doesn't bark, or…...
    General Dog Discussions : What all do I have to do to make my dog a therapy dog?...

• What all do I have to do to make my dog a therapy dog?

What all do I have to do to make my dog a therapy dog? General Dog Discussions
      I'm not even sure if that's what you'd call it..I want her to be one of those dogs who go to the hospitals or nursing home to see people. She is a four year old chihuahua, and she is one of the friendliest dogs I have ever seen. She doesn't bark, or bite. I she absolutely loves to be petted, because we spoiled her from the start. She has never bit, nor tried, to bite anyone.What all do I have to do before taking her to the hospital/nursing home? I know I have to get the place's permission first, but then what? Special training..shots?

What all do I have to do to make my dog a therapy dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Look for the volunteer organization Pets As Therapy (or US equivalent) apply to them online, they send you an application pack, with an assessment sheet to be filled out by a vet or trained assessor.The questions include assessment of your dogs temperament, behaviour, grooming, breed, state of health, age, vaccination record, training, how he interacts with you, other people, other dogs, and reactions to various situations, such as loud noise, sudden touch, being brushed, fed treats.It also requires you to provide passport size photo of yourself and a '' head and shoulders'' photo of your dog, cause if you ain't pretty, you ain't getting in (honestly)Your assessor takes the completed assessment form to a board of assessors then deliberates and decides whether you /your dog is suitable/good enough for them, if so they will inform you in writing and then you will be allowed to visit stipulated places Of course you are expected to pay for the privilege of devoting your time, effort and energy to their worthy cause