Is it okay to wait on an ACL surgery for a dog?

My pet is about 2 and a half years and she is a spunky little pit/<a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/">bulldog</a> mix. Her and my boxer were playing out in the backyard and she tore her ACL possibly per our vet. I've had conflicting stories as far as doing the surgery and waiting her out…

My pet is about 2 and a half years and she is a spunky little pit/<a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/">bulldog</a> mix. Her and my boxer were playing out in the backyard and she tore her ACL possibly per our vet. I've had conflicting stories as far as doing the surgery and waiting her out…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it okay to wait on an ACL surgery for a dog?...

• Is it okay to wait on an ACL surgery for a dog?

Is it okay to wait on an ACL surgery for a dog? General Dog Discussions
      My pet is about 2 and a half years and she is a spunky little pit/bulldog mix. Her and my boxer were playing out in the backyard and she tore her ACL possibly per our vet. I've had conflicting stories as far as doing the surgery and waiting her out (with meds of course). I've worked for a vet for 5 years and know first hand the pros and cons of both. I would just like someone who has had it done to give me some info. Also if I do wait where is the best place to find a PT plan for her.

Is it okay to wait on an ACL surgery for a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Well I am on my third TTA surgery with my large breeds. I have held off on my rottie's other knee only because we have had to take the brunt of 7,000.00 in surgeries over the past year and a half. My vet told me we can choose not to do the surgery again. Which is where we are at now. What happens is you have to keep your dog quiet. No running, jumping, playing etc for a couple of weeks. Keep an eye on how she is walking. In time, (without surgery) she will put weight on it again but she will always have a limp. Leash walking only no running free. You can't let the leg atrophy. My Rottie is limping heavy but shows some signs of improvement but in my heart I know surgery would make her better. The TTA surgery is better for larger breeds. I have a Berner who had the surgery at 2 years of age because of jumping a fence to chase a wild turkey and my Rottie had the surgery at 6 1/2 due to degenerative disease. Now my Rottie needs the other knee done. My vet has stated in time the animal will put pressure on the knee but over a long period of time will develop arthritis. I am in the same boat you are and have been on both sides of the fence. The rehab for this surgery is approx. 6-8 months and its hard on both the animal and the humans. I will admit that my Rottie showed amazing improvement after the surgery. All her muscle returned and she was doing great but unfortunately with the degenerative disease it was just a matter of time before the other knee went. After about 8 months she was walking normal again. So far my surgeon has been on the money.You can go both ways. But all in all I know from experience that surgery is the best option. If your dog is large over 60 pounds I would go for the TTA surgery. Do some research not all surgeons are good with this surgery. Find someone who has alot of experience. My surgeon is one of the best and he is now in Brooklyn, NY.Hope this helps.