How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy?

Recently my dog has given birth to nine puppies, and ever since word has gotten around, I have had so many people hounding me about "saving them one". Many of these people have been known to neglect animals in the past. I want all of the puppies to have…

How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy?

Recently my dog has given birth to nine puppies, and ever since word has gotten around, I have had so many people hounding me about "saving them one". Many of these people have been known to neglect animals in the past. I want all of the puppies to have…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy?...

• 'I cant believe that a lot of people would say for you to lie...and that the puppies are spoken for. There your puppies right now and there's nothing wrong with refusing someone-especially if you believe they wont be cared for. Why not draft up an application asking specific questions like pet-finder or other breeders do?-if you feel comfortable enough to do house visits to prospective owners than do that. It may deter some people? Just a thought. Follow you heart and have these innocent puppies placed in a loving home.

• I would tell the person or people that you don't want to have a puppy that they a re all spoken for. As for placing them into loving homes, you need to screen the homes. Here are a few questions that I use when I have a litter due.I always ask for references from the buyers. I also always call these references.I also require a letter from the landlord if they do not own their own home.I make sure that they have done their research on the breed.I question them on how they plan on house-breaking the dog.I find out what other pets are in the home and how they plan to introduce them.My most important question is who would be their primary vet. I contact the vet to make sure that they actually use the vet.I also make the new owners sign a contract that has them agree that they will not make the puppy a "breeder". They will keep the puppy as an indoor pet. They will also NEVER turn the puppy in to a pound!Finally, I actually micro-chip all of my puppies and register the chips to myself so that if they ever get turned into the pound, I am contacted and will take legal action.Good luck! If you have any more questions, or would like to see my contract, e-mail me and I will send it to you.

• First, you need to screen potential adoptors. Go to your local animal shelter and ask for one of their adoptor's forms. That will give you an idea of what to put on your own questionaire. Also put on the paperwork that you reserve the right to refuse an adoption to anyone (you don't need a reason). Most people who neglect animals will not go to the bother of filling out paperwork so you will weed out undesirables there. Make sure you ask for at least 2 REFERENCES. It's amazing how much you can find out this way. Ask the references if the applicant would be a responsible pet owner. If they already have pets, find out if they are up-to-date on their vaccinations (big clue!). If they rent, you need to find out from their landlord if they are allowed pets so put that on your form. Also put a spay/neuter clause in your form/contract. Finally, put a clause in your contract that if they are unable/unwilling to keep the dog any longer that they return it to you. That way you can find another loving home for it and not chance that it goes to a high-kill pound. And, trust your gut instincts!!!!! If you feel something's not right, chances are, they aren't. People can look good on paper and not be good pet owners. With my rescues, I also do home inspections but you may not need that unless you are uneasy. Big tip, too-don't GIVE them away. If people have to pay a nominal fee they are much more likely to take care of the animal.

• You have the right to place a puppy or not to place a puppy with whomever you choose. What you should do is tell each person that you will put them on your list along with everyone else and as you see the puppies grow and learn their personalities you will match them to the people on your list according to the circumstances of each family...for instance... kids or no kids in the family..other pets in the family etc.After you figure out who is suitable for each of the pups and let them go to their new homes, let them know that you would like to keep in touch (they will not be offended, they will look at you like a concerned grandmommy) If you ever see neglect or abuse with any of them you can confront them politely, or do as i did 4 years ago. I found out that one of my pups was being left out in a kennel in bad weather with no shelter. I was in shock, i went to check the situation out that day... they were not home and there was this poor dog standing in her kennel on nothing but ice, her feet were frozen and she had no food or water or anything to protect her from the freezing rain. I opened the kennel door, took the dog out, put her in my van and took her home. I left a note on their door to say that i dropped in to visit and seen they were not home but noticed the poor dog outside freezing so brought her home with me(the note really wasnt that nice). I had no idea they would be like this or i would never have let a pup go there...you never quite know how someone really does treat an animal unless you check it out for yourself, they may sound like the best doggie parents ever, and they might have all good intentions but may end up like this. I ended up keeping the dog for 6 months before a found an extra special home for her.Good luck and screen your people, but as you can see there is never a sure fire way to know for sure how good or not good the home will be, that is why it is so important to check in with them....and you as the breeder always have the right to take a dog back. Sometimes you might make an enemy or 2 but its worth it for the sake of the dogs, its the responsibility you must take when you decide to bring these little puppies into the world.

• Just tell them:I don't think these type of dogs would fit your backround.To make sure these puppies get nice loving families either have a backround check(which means go to the person's house who wants to buy the puppy/puppies)or usually you can tell that the person who wants to buy the puppy/puppies is nice and loving or the opposite.

• Txharleygirl1 is very correct with her answer above. Especially,if this is concerning purebred, or almost purebred puppies.I breed German Shepards. My dogs have great bloodlinesand a lot of people want to buy puppies.I usually sell 1 or 2 litters a year. Like you, I worry about the babies and want to make sure they have great homes. But, there are legal concerns too. You can't just turn people down for any old reason and expect to get away with it, for long.I have an application to buy a puppy. It requires Name, address,phone. Landlord's name and phone (if any). Name of Vet they will be using and phone. Name, address, phone of 6 references.I call landlord and ask if he/she allows pets. I also call vet's number (to make sure it exsists). Then, I call each reference.I usually ask how they know the potential buyer. I ask if they know if the potiental buyer has any pets. If so what kind. Are their pets well taken care of ? If no pets, do they feel potential buyer would be a responsible pet owner ?I don't care if the potential buyers have a fenced yard or not.I know some very good dog owners that do not have fenced yards. I didn't for a lot of years. I don't care if the potential buyers have children. I personally believe that all children deserve to have a dog as a pet. I also do not care if the potential buyers have other pets or not. (It's nice if they do, but not essential.)I also do not care if the new owner want to breed their new dog.In fact, I hope they do to carry on a great bloodline.

• Contact a local rescue group in your area and ask if they can give you the questionaire that they use to determine if placement is acceptable in a particular home. I had a rescue get one of these to me when we had a stray we needed to place. It was really good and had a rating system to help you determine if the home would be appropriate (i.e. fenced yards verses apartments). I'd say the more "picky" a questionaire is, the better chances you have of placing in a proper home. Ask a few different rescues for help as not all are as "picky" as they should be when placing.What ever you do, screen the people really well and keep in touch with those that take a puppy so that you can check up from time to time to ensure good care is being given. Ask for vet references, as well as others. I would also consider spay/nueter certificates if your vet will do something like this. The people pay for it when they take the puppy and it increases the chances that they will follow thru with it, since they've already shelled out for it.You have the right to turn ANYONE down for a puppy that you choose. REPUTABLE BREEDERS do it ALL THE TIME when they don't feel their breed would be appropriate for an interested party. There is nothing legal about it and they CAN NOT sue you. If you don't feel it's a good home, don't let them have a puppy, period! You want to do what's best for the puppies and placing them in good homes should be the first concern. I wouldn't worry about the feelings of others... guilt and giving in to them, could send a puppy to a bad home.

• Say they need expensive vet treatments and tell them you'll need them to commit a lot of money up front...that should stop them.Or say that others have already paid for themOr that you promised them to someone else/family member.And if someones really insistent lay on a sob story about how your friends dog has died and she fell in love with the very last one you had available, and it would just break her heart if she were to lose this puppy...Or you could say that there has been such a responds that you need to go through an application process to be more fair.Ask for the persons full identification and what vet they will use for he continued care of the puppy. Ask for references from vets. If they don't want to give the info, red flag right there. If a person has never taken a pet to the vet then you can bet your new puppy wont be going either. And check these references!You don't have to ask yourself, type it up and make it look official and just hand it to them. I had to fill out a similar form to adopt an abandoned bunny from the local petstore.When adopting our cat, the shelter asked for our information and even came to see our house. We had no problem giving references, as we are responsible and take our pets to the vet whenever needed. Call up the local animal welfare people and find out if there is a way to see if people have histories of harming animals.

• tell them that you do not have available for them. If they push the issue, then you can tell them that you have some concerns with the past way they have treated their animals. That is your RIGHT and responsibility as a pet owner to make sure these pups get good homes. Thank you for being that way!! TOO many people just see the $$ signs in their eyes and dont really care.Dont listen to the stupid people telling you that you can get sued. Sure they "could" take you to civil court but there is no way these people would win!!! These pups are basically your property.. you can do what you want and sell them to who you want.

• here is one trick my sister used and that is too jack up the price something you know for a fact that these ppl cannot afford to pay and say you had to do that cause costs have gone up for you . Just say well the vet has gone up on his prices and I have to recover certain fees . It usually works if that does not do the trick then tell them that all the puppies are spoken for . sorry . I hope that I helped.