How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy?

Recently my dog has given birth to nine puppies, and ever since word has gotten around, I have had so many people hounding me about "saving them one". Many of these people have been known to neglect animals in the past. I want all of the puppies to have…

Recently my dog has given birth to nine puppies, and ever since word has gotten around, I have had so many people hounding me about "saving them one". Many of these people have been known to neglect animals in the past. I want all of the puppies to have…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy?...

• How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy?

How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy? General Dog Discussions
      Recently my dog has given birth to nine puppies, and ever since word has gotten around, I have had so many people hounding me about "saving them one". Many of these people have been known to neglect animals in the past. I want all of the puppies to have a loving family. Please tell me how I can politely tell these people no without offending them, and also how can I go about making sure all my puppies are placed in loving homes?

How can I can I politely refuse to sell someone a puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • I say if you know they have neglected anaimals in the past tell them you have already found a home for them and feel the person out or tell the people that want a dog that they need to come over and interact with the puppy before they get it to get it familiar with them!

• I would suggest you telling them that they are already spoken for, or that you are going to be devising a very selective screening for all people interested in adopting one of the puppies. My dog just had her first litter 5 days ago, and I am going through the same thing. I think that I may go to the ASPCA and ask them what there procedure is for screening homes, and use the same thing. I know its a pain in the butt, but if you truly care about them going to loving homes, its worth it. Either that, or make sure you know the person, or people well, as did the freind who gave us our sweetie.

• Just be strait forward and say that you do not feel that the puppies will be right for them. Also, many people talk like they want one, but they expect to get them for cheap (or free) and when they find out that you are going to charge them they back out.If you do not feel comfortable saying that you could just tell them that you are screening people to give the puppies homes and that you think that they have all found new homes.

• Just announce that you've already found homes for all your dogs, but you appreciate these peoples' interest. As far as finding loving homes, first, make sure you charge an appropriate price. People are more likely to buy a dog they won't care for if it's in the paper for $100 or best offer, than if you're charging several hundred requiring home inspections and/or interviews with potential owners. Try paying a little extra to advertise in something like Dog Fancy, rather than in the Pennysaver or local classifieds.

• I would tell the people that you're unsure of that you already had someone in mind for those puppies. (that is the truth, because the people you have in mind will be good to the puppies).I would be sure that the new owners all go through some sort of positive training classes. That will insure that they have the right knowledge on how to raise the dog properly.

• Honesty is the best policy. You could try telling them they are already spoken for, but if they then found out, well ... two wrongs usually just add up to a great big mess.If they have the reputation you mention, they likely don't generally keep their dogs very long. I would not accuse them of neglect but would instead just say that you have noticed they don't keep their dogs very long and you want someone who is going to die with your dog still there to attend the funeral.Good luck -- is not an easy situation.

• Maybe you could go with something on the lines of "what happened to your last dog" or someone told me you would not give a puppy the kind of home I was looking for. Our coonhound had 12 pups this past summer (she is since spayed) but we asked for $30 for each. That weeded out some of the weirdos and it was really cool to see parents bring out there kids and pick one out. You could see that some of the kids saved up this money and would take the care seriously. Hope this helps!

• Even handpicking all the new homes , you are not likely to find all good ones. The best you can do is make sure you see all the homes, become acquainted with all the people, reserve visiting privileges, maybe even borrow a questionaire from your local shelter to see all the questions they ask before adopting. You could sell the puppies rather than giving them away, this is usually easier than giving them away as people will perceive them to be more valuable. People who buy dogs usually take a little better care of them. And as far as telling people no without offending them, you will have to lie. Tell them they are all spoken for.

• when I breed my gsd we had people sign a contract that said they couldn't sell or re-home the puppy without giving me notice and first choice to buy back also it stated that if a puppy was neglected or abused I could take the puppy back.it is standard now just remember if you don't stand up for your puppies who will?? you are there only voice.tell people who you don't want to sell to that they're all spoken for.better to hurt feelings then your puppies!!good luck

• If you're not comfortable telling them "No, I don't think you would provide the appropriate home", tell them that you already have homes in mind for all the puppies. It's not really a lie - you DO have homes in mind for all the puppies. You just don't know where those homes ARE.With regards to placing the puppies (and PLEASE don't let them go until they're at least 8 weeks old, and preferably closer to 10-12 weeks!!), look for homes that have securely fenced yards, someone with experience with the breed, if they already have pets - are the animals up to date with their shots, and do they get regular vet care?Also, please spay your dog so you don't have to worry about placing any more puppies. There are already millions of dogs killed every year in shelters because there aren't enough homes for them.Another option is if your pups are purebred (or predominantly one breed), contact a breed rescue group and ask them if they have families looking for puppies and if they would be willing to take your pups and place them. Consider making a donation to the rescue group to do the placement for you - they will generally be thorough in screening homes. You may be asked to foster the pups until the rescue group finds homes for them. Some rescue groups may be willing to help you with that.

• Tell them the pups must be 6 weeks old before you make any decisions. In the meantime, they can write you a letter stating how many dogs theyve had in the past and why they want yours. You will set the price later depending on how many people give you letters. The letter thing really weeds people out. It's work. And if they have to admit how many dogs they've been through, that will weed out more.

• You can't really be extremely selective about who you sellthe puppies too. If people really want one, they can become quite upset if they aren't chosen to get one. Even if they are your friends. They'll want to know what your reasons are for not letting them have one. You can lie and say something like you got offered a lot of money (more than what they would pay) or that something like that. But, if they are smart they'll see through it and get really mad and ask for the real reason.You can tell them the truth..that you don't think they'd provide a loving home because they neglect their animals.If you tell them the truth, they can get mad and sue you. Theywould win, too. (If you couldn't provide rock solid proof that they seriously neglected another animal. Ie:testimony from a vet , etc.)They'd win because it's slander & defamation of character & discrimination (if you can't prove it.) They'd win they cost of another dog plus punitive damages and court costs.That'd amount to more money than you'd get if you sold every puppy for $1000 each.(A black couple lived in my neighborhood were breeders of champion pekingese. They sold puppies via ads in breeders mags for $2000 each. They refused to sell me one, saying they thought I would neglect the dogs needs because I had young children, other dogs, and they didn't feel I had adequate room for another dog in my life. I sued. I won. They had to pay for another champion line puppyfor me, plus my lost wages for attending court, plus punitive damages, plus court costs.Be very careful about what standards you have and the questions you ask prospective owners. Check with your local laws. Some states state that you can't require a home inspectionor fenced yard.Refusing because someone has young children or children in general will get you sued. Refusing because they own other dogs will get you sued. Refusing because of their race, job, income, or home or yard size will get you sued. Requireing a fenced yard will get you sued.If you turn somebody down because you got a bad reference from someone, if you require them, means you have to reveal what the reference said and who said it. You also have to allow the buyer a chance to prove the reference wrong before you deny them the puppy.The more purebred the puppy, the bigger the chance of you getting sued if you turn someone down for the wrong reason.Also turning down someone because they plan to use a different vet than you approve of will get you sued. (As long as it's vet care...) Microchipping with the puppy registered to you and not the intended owner is sneaky & a violation of the new owners rights. If the owner finds out, they can sueyou. (And win.)Also, if the new owner wants to breed their pet, it is discrimination for you to require that they spay or neuter it.Most owners of purebreds, especially show dogs, do not spay or neuter their dogs. (This is a big issue that you could very well get sued over.)Be careful.