Has anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with an torn ACL?

My dog has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and the vet recommends surgery. This is costly and traumatic. The only alternative seems to be putting the dog in a crate for 6 weeks - although the vet says the outcome will not be as good a with surgery. any…

My dog has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and the vet recommends surgery. This is costly and traumatic. The only alternative seems to be putting the dog in a crate for 6 weeks - although the vet says the outcome will not be as good a with surgery. any…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with an torn ACL?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with an torn ACL?

Has anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with an torn ACL? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and the vet recommends surgery. This is costly and traumatic. The only alternative seems to be putting the dog in a crate for 6 weeks - although the vet says the outcome will not be as good a with surgery. any help appreciated!!!

Has anyone ever had a dog diagnosed with an torn ACL? General Dog Discussions
    • The surgery isn't traumatic, but is expensive and requires the same crate rest as if your dog had not had the surgery. If your budget is restricted and surgery is out of the question, I would try crate rest and follow the vets directions explicitly. That means no cheating and allowing the dog to do anything other than walk on a leash in a controlled manner to relieve itself and when ordered, limited exercise, until the okay is given. Any deviation and you may have a bigger issue on your hand that can only be resolved with surgery.