Is there a medical reason to cut a dog's nails?

My boyfriend keeps his dogs outside in his backyard (he is a good pet owner - he built a dog house, etc). But he doesn't see any reason to cut his dog's nails, and his little boy is complaining about it, since he plays with the dogs. Is there a medical…

Is there a medical reason to cut a dog's nails?

My boyfriend keeps his dogs outside in his backyard (he is a good pet owner - he built a dog house, etc). But he doesn't see any reason to cut his dog's nails, and his little boy is complaining about it, since he plays with the dogs. Is there a medical…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a medical reason to cut a dog's nails?...

• there is no medical reason but if you don't do it then the vains will grow out in to the nail and if you ever want to cut them than you can't

• The health reason wouldn't be for the dog, but for his little boy. Dog nails are filled with germs, especially outside dogs. A scratch from one of the nails could give the child an infection and some of them are really nasty ones. If the dog's nails do not wear down on their own, then cutting them for the boy's safety is necessary. If he doesn't know how to do it, either show him if you know, or have him taken to a groomer who can do it safely. (check the credentials though. Some aren't so good at it.)Generally, dog's nails aren't a danger to the dog as long as they are whole and not swollen or split. The only other time they become a danger is when they are really long. A dog can go lame if the nails impede its movements and it makes it easier for the dog to rip the nails off so much that it cuts into the vein inside the nail. I don't know this for a fact, but I've heard that if that vein is torn or cut, the dog could bleed to death, so keeping them at a normal length is important. Cutting them too short is bad too though, so make sure that whoever does it knows what they are doing.

• inside dogs are more in need of clipping. outside dogs dig and run and do other activities to wear them down. if the dog's nails arent too long then let him b.you do not want the dog to have pain or bleeding from them being clipped too short. when the nails grow too long as on an un active inside dog it makes it hard for them to walk and causes aches and pains in their feet, legs and even back. if he scratches the boy while playing look into "soft claws) these are wonderful ! i use them for our inside cat who is a playmate to my small children.. good luck

• there is a medical reason why,a) its easier for them to walk all that nail wont get in their way, it would be painful to walk alsob) the nails, if left by itself, can dig into the paws and making it painful also.but if the dogs are left outside, i'm pretty sure that the dogs do not need a trim for thier nails because of the concrete dulling the nails.my dog is an inside dog and rarely needs to be clipped.dogs naturally bite thier nails off to keep it trim(in the wild, i dont think wolves would give them their paw for a pedicure )

• same reasons as you do yours.split broken nails bleed pain and infection. is most important.and if the dog was getting enough activity doesn't need thisthat they are an outside dogs and still have the problem sounds like they are too confined maybe.?i hope they are also not left in too cold and too hot and without constant supply of water etc..

• Sometimes dogs will file their nails down just by running on concrete. But most dogs should have them clipped every two or three weeks. Nails that are too long can scratch your bare skin, distort the way your dog stands and even interfere with his gait.Why do my dog's nails need to be trimmed regularly?When a dog's nails become too long they interfere with the dog's gait and as the nails continue to grow, walking will become awkward and painful. Untrimmed nails can also split resulting in a great deal of pain, bleeding, and a trip to the veterinarian's office. In severe cases a dog's nails can curl under and grow into the pad of the dog's paw causing a very serious and painful infection. These types of ingrown nail problems are most common on the dewclaws

• There are many medical reasons to cut a dogs nails. Here are a few:1 - If too long, it is easy for the nail to be ripped off completely or partially and invite infection into the bloodstream.2- Long nails inhibit the foot from proper form when standing, walking and running and can cause arthritis and even complete lamesness of the foot. 3- When not trimmed properly, the quick which carries the blood vessels will grow longer making it even more difficult to trim the nails in the future and making any nail injury more serious. 4- Many dogs will start digging or other destructive bahaviors to try and wear down the nails. - not really a medical reason, but a GOOD reason. It really is better for the dog to have the nails trimmed regularly. Grooming shops will do it for about 10 bucks and most vets will throw it in for free if you ask them to do it during an office visit.

• Unless the dog is roaming which naturally wears the nails down yes there is a medical reason for cutting a dogs nails. If the nails grow to long it can hinder the bone structure in the feet. The dog will be walking at an angle if that goes on for to long it starts affecting the ligaments, tendons and even the bones in the feet, ankle and legs.The nails have nerves growing throughout the length of them and though it is not extremely painful to knick them when being trimmed it does hurt. Its sort of like a bee sting feeling. With a dog who has long nails they are more likely to splinter the nail, cutting it off, or tearing it which does cause pain and can lead to infection if left untreated (if not noticed).It doesn't cost much at the vet or groomer. Or you can just do it yourself. Look for something called the quick. The pick spot in the nail or if the nail is dark in color look under the nail - its the meating portion that sticks out. Don't cut that. If you do you can use flour to stop the bleeding or purchase some quick stop from petsmart or petco. Quick stop stops the bleeding and helps to numb the pain (its what vets and groomers use).Another option if your b/f doesn't want to "deal with it" is to talk to your vet. While working in the hospital many people would have their dog put under anesthetic and the vet would dremil (electronically file) the nails down through the quick etc. It would prevent having to trim them for a few months. I don't know how much it costs or the benefits (aside from having to trim them up regualarly) and I dont' know the pit falls. However it is another option.Good Luck